The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

When some of my hens were outside today, I decided to 'experiment' with water.

Their feathers stick together at times and my bearded-hens-beards (say that three times fast!) are dried up from drinking. They were due for a bath.

I took a large bowl of clean water and put it on the ground.
First I pick up the hen and gently spray mist on her back and crop area. I cleaned her feathers the placed her in the bucket.
I also splashed her back and tail with water.

I let her dry off, she perched on the front stoop of my house. All good, she dried off. But still, she was broody. When she cracked eggs (not on purpose) yolk got on her 'under carriage.' That didn't even come off after the quick bath.

If I were to buy a very natural and non-harsh soap...
What brand and type should I get? Even a lotion for their combs, I never tried this before and I hear people lotion the chickens comb.

Good idea?
Let me know! Thanks!

-The Angry Hen

Suggest getting a bigger bath pan you can fill with lukewarm water. Gentlty place her in the water and allow her to soak a bit to loosen stuck poop and egg residue. She may relax and enjoy. After maybe 5 or 10 minutes you should be able to remove the gunk easily. Rinse and let dry in a warm draft free area. If you use a dryer be extra careful not too hot or too close. Best to let dry naturally. Do this early enough in the day so she has time to dry before night.

Thanks! I will try that.
I think the bowl is big enough,
I just have to get her to stay in one spot.

I swear she's like: "I just saw a bug, be right back!"
Just like giving a puppy a bath, somehow I ended up wet today!

Thanks again for responding!
-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom