Giving chicks to a broody hen

Keep them separate for a couple of weeks the mother and chicks until they are big enough to fend for themselves. I am also hatching for the first time with a broody when I have always incubated
I have never incubated. I find it easier give a broody hen eggs and let her hatch them, I've been really successful so far.

Keep them separate for a couple of weeks the mother and chicks until they are big enough to fend for themselves. I am also hatching for the first time with a broody when I have always incubated
my nesting boxes are up high,,when the babies hatch is there a chance they will fall out or do i enclose them up and make the nesting box area a big brooder

my nesting boxes are up high,,when the babies hatch is there a chance they will fall out or do i enclose them up and make the nesting box area a big brooder

Yes, they might fall out. Our coop is roomy. We put a travel/quarantine cage in there for the broody hen, which has a 4" wall for her to climb over, but too tall for the baby chicks.

I have put my broody in a rabbit hutch we are now on day 11 so far so good. I am giving her ten minutes to stretch herself in a small enclosure outside the hutch and have a dust bath as she gets off her eggs Voluntarily. It seems to make her it bit happier as she had already tried hatching five eggs that never developed further than day 18! So that is over a month!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom