GIVING CHICKS TO BROODY AND MAREKS VACCINE

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Good Saturday to all!
I have a VERY broody silkie that I would like to give some chicks to (her own eggs are infertile). She just started being broody again after laying for about 10 days. She was just broody for about 2 months. I tried breaking her, she is a silkie, so it was quite impossible. Anyway, since she is so determined to be a mama, I have some hatchery chicks coming next week as well as a single egg in the incubator expected to hatch around the same time (the reason for the chick order).
I was thinking of letting the broody raise the chicks. I have never done this before. I vaccinate all my chicks for Mareks. My entire flock has been vaccinated. The hatchery chicks will be vaccinated from the hatchery.
Normally when I sell chicks, I tell people to keep them indoors for the first 2 weeks so the vaccine can take effect.
Can I just place these chicks with the broody at 2 weeks of age and see if they accept her and vice a versa, or should I just go ahead and place the chicks right away with her? I am thinking the risk of Mareks will be small as the flock is vaccinated, but we also have plenty of wild birds, icluding feral chickens, around here.
Thoughts? 😊
IMG_3233.jpg

I set the chicks near my broody hens in a little box. My hens will perk up hearing the chirps and eventually start a little purring like coo back at them. Once that ‘mothering’ coo starts, I begin placing the chicks next to the hens and they’ve all seemed delighted to welcome their new babies.

good luck, 🤗

Marek's is a leaky vaccine, it does not prevent the birds from being later infected with a virulent form of the virus, it merely prevents (in nearly all cases) and symptoms. The vaccinated birds can still be carriers of highly virulent strains, just never show it. If you expose your vaccinated chicks to a virulent strain too soon, they can become symptomatic later on.
Personally, I would not give any chicks to your broody. If you have guineas, ducks or turkeys, they could be safely hatched and brooded by the silkie, but no chickens.

Back
Top Bottom