giving ducklings niacin supplements??

How often the niacin supplement needed for duckling and ducks, is it once in their life time? Thanks knowledge needed.

Welcome, pajero,

Niacin for ducklings with problems, 100 - 150 mg per gallon of drinking water for 8 weeks. Once they are 2 - 3 months old, and outdoors where they eat insects, and they are grown, it is not as important to have extra niacin.

Not trying to start an argument here but wanting to ensure proper nutrition is not over thinking. Pajero, it is great that you are being proactive and asking questions. I have treated a duckling with wry neck which can be caused by a vitamin deficiency. It is recommended that ducklings up to 10 weeks, who are not fed a waterfowl starter feed, receive vitamin supplements. There are many ways to supplement like brewers yeast or niacin tablets, I prefer poultry nutri drench which was the easiest for me.

@jenniemig

In my country, duck starter & grower are hard to find, all this while I've been using chicken feed except layer which are so expensive.

So, for cheaper solution, mixed our own feed, in search for info came across this niacin issue.

Here, niacin products are meant for human supplement, sold in pharmacy outlets such as Guardian or Watson.

The salesgirl got shock when being told that my flock of ducks need niacin.....LOL

Thanks so much for this BYC Forum and members. I learn a lot here.

Last edited:
@jenniemig

In my country, duck starter & grower are hard to find, all this while I've been using chicken feed except layer which are so expensive.

So, for cheaper solution, mixed our own feed, in search for info came across this niacin issue.

Here, niacin products are meant for human supplement, sold in pharmacy outlets such as Guardian or Watson.

The salesgirl got shock when being told that my flock of ducks need niacin.....LOL

Thanks so much for this BYC Forum and members. I learn a lot here.

It's the same here, no one carries waterfowl food. I had to order it and have it shipped, which was too expensive. Now that they're older I have all of them, ducks and chickens, on flock raiser.

I am getting ducks next spring so this is good to know thx.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom