giving ducklings niacin supplements??

I thought I read somewhere but now I can't find it, that regular rolled oats can be used as a form of niacin. Does anyone know if this is true? My friend told me she never used niacin supplement for her ducks and used regular chick starter grower with 18% protein which is what I'm using and never had any problems. I thought I'ed err on the side of caution and make sure they have it. Does make me wonder though how necessary it is or was she just lucky to not have any issues with her ducks?

I thought I read somewhere but now I can't find it, that regular rolled oats can be used as a form of niacin. Does anyone know if this is true? My friend told me she never used niacin supplement for her ducks and used regular chick starter grower with 18% protein which is what I'm using and never had any problems. I thought I'ed err on the side of caution and make sure they have it. Does make me wonder though how necessary it is or was she just lucky to not have any issues with her ducks?

From what I read, oats are not a significant source of niacin. They are used for fiber, and to decrease protein in feed.

Not all ducklings show niacin deficiency or even have apparent problems on chick starter. One study that I have seen declared chick starter fine for ducklings. And I have seen dozens of cases here that indicate that there are ducklings who suffer without sufficient B vitamin levels (that are apparently not met by chick starter).

From what I read, oats are not a significant source of niacin. They are used for fiber, and to decrease protein in feed.

Not all ducklings show niacin deficiency or even have apparent problems on chick starter. One study that I have seen declared chick starter fine for ducklings. And I have seen dozens of cases here that indicate that there are ducklings who suffer without sufficient B vitamin levels (that are apparently not met by chick starter).

Ok thanks so much.
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Mine don't get niacin either. Never had an issue. They do get grass, bugs etc time though.

Mine don't get niacin either. Never had an issue. They do get grass, bugs etc time though.

Yes, that's what I've seen. Some folks never need to supplement with niacin, and there is no evidence of neurological problems. So I don't know what it is - genetics? Feed? Unknown viruses that affect B vitamin levels? I just know I've seen so very many apparent B vitamin deficiency problems. I say apparent, because once extra B vitamins are given, improvement can be seen within days.

I let mine out to swim and run around the grass but they don't seem to be able to eat the grass right now but I bought some Brewers yeast just to be on the safe side, figure when I can stop giving it to the ducks I can give it to my dogs. I did gave mine some chopped flat leaf parsley in their pool yesterday and they loved that.

I let mine out to swim and run around the grass but they don't seem to be able to eat the grass right now but I bought some Brewers yeast just to be on the safe side, figure when I can stop giving it to the ducks I can give it to my dogs. I did gave mine some chopped flat leaf parsley in their pool yesterday and they loved that.

They are eating more than you think. After all that's what they eat in the wild

They are eating more than you think. After all that's what they eat in the wild

Well I say that because when I watch them try to pluck off grass they can't seem to do it at the moment. Although that was as of yesterday (which would make it 6 days since I have had them) and seeing as how I went in this morning to check on them and they seemed to almost double in size over night lol that may have changed. 5 days ago I put my two and my friends two Mallard babies that I was keeping all in this plastic birdbath liner I had and they all fit, today it was raining so I used it for them to get in the water out in my shed and 1 took up almost the whole thing, I couldn't believe what 5 days made! I heard they grow fast but crazy fast is more like it!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom