Giving guineas away :'(

Guineas are not made to be very... cuddly. Chickens are kind of fluffy, guineas are just, hard and rough, lol.

what do you do with them? :O
Well, the poultry are my teen daughter’s business. I help her with all things poultry, including butchering either excess cockerels or birds we’ve bred for meat. If we can sell them then we do that. We sold all of last week’s birds and will butcher and sell more next weekend. I do like to cook and sometimes cook meat for the family. I’ve been wanting to try making Beer Can Chicken and Coq au vin.

Well, the poultry are my teen daughter’s business. I help her with all things poultry, including butchering either excess cockerels or birds we’ve bred for meat. If we can sell them then we do that. We sold all of last week’s birds and will butcher and sell more next weekend. I do like to cook and sometimes cook meat for the family. I’ve been wanting to try making Beer Can Chicken and Coq au vin.

Ooooh that's my dream, to make food I don't have to eat.
No one understands me - "you don't like bread? but you bake bread?!"
I enjoy the creation process okay. 😂
Sadly I'm mostly by myself and don't have enough people to eat my experiments :(

Ooooh that's my dream, to make food I don't have to eat.
No one understands me - "you don't like bread? but you bake bread?!"
I enjoy the creation process okay. 😂
Sadly I'm mostly by myself and don't have enough people to eat my experiments :(

You're so funny. I would think excess food would attract friends! :D:pop:love
I love bread! Where do I sign up?

You're so funny. I would think excess food would attract friends! :D:pop:love
I love bread! Where do I sign up?

Come! I’m in the middle of nowhere, NY.

But seriously, I had friends back when I was in the city. I mean they’re still my friends, but oh so far away now... I used to bring in baked goods almost on a daily basis to my office, we even had a desk just for food and snacks people would bring in!

Now that I’ve moved out here to a much more rural setting, I’ve lost my bread eating guinea pigs friends and colleagues :(

No regrets though. Chickens and Guineas would have never happened had I stayed in my NYC basement apartment!(I mean I guess it *could* happen, but I can’t see that ending well...)

More vegan substitutes and why I went vegan.

Sausage, egg, and cheese English muffins - completely plant based. The sausage is Gimme Lean and the cheese is smoked provolone and the egg is Just Egg (pictured). Hubby loves it. I eat oatmeal with cinnamon, apples and blueberries for breakfast. Both every good.

https://www.amazon.com/Violife-Prov...S02VG6ACW8E&psc=1&refRID=39HEJ6DW9S02VG6ACW8E

Our excess Guinea eggs go as dog food supplements and wild life sharing now. I still enjoy having the flock, so far from leading a vegan life style. The video below shows how battery layer hens look if they are lucky enough to be rescued. That is why I eat vegan now. No longer willing to pay someone to do this to an animal and not producing enough animal based food myself, so jus switched to vegan diet altogether. Easier that way and healthier, too.

The U.S. is one of the worst places in the world as far as factory farming is concerned. A manufacturer banned in Germany for animal cruelty is a big egg producer in the United States now. That is because we allow this in our country and keep purchasing products that are produced by abusing animals without questioning it.

Plant Based Sausage Egg and Cheese English Muffins.jpg

Last edited:
The U.S. is one of the worst places in the world as far as factory farming is concerned. A manufacturer banned in Germany for animal cruelty is a big egg producer in the United States now. That is because we allow this in our country and keep purchasing products that are produced by abusing animals without questioning it.

Ugh, that's atrocious. I think I've seen this video before, but it really gets me every time. I don't know how anyone can try to make a profit off animal abuse, that's just not right. I don't know how their brains are wired, but it's beyond what I can understand. just unacceptable. Do you know the name of that german manufacturer? I would like to look into it more myself.

I don't think I'll ever go vegan, I do like meat...
but, I try to buy from my local farm when I can afford it, and I also try to get eggs off Facebook Marketplace from backyard chicken owners. There's even raw milk 5 minutes away, but my stomach doesn't agree with it, lol. I'm just fortunate to have these options around me, but when I was in the city, it was fairly cost prohibitive to buy local.

More vegan substitutes and why I went vegan.

Sausage, egg, and cheese English muffins - completely plant based. The sausage is Gimme Lean and the cheese is smoked provolone and the egg is Just Egg (pictured). Hubby loves it. I eat oatmeal with cinnamon, apples and blueberries for breakfast. Both every good.

https://www.amazon.com/Violife-Prov...S02VG6ACW8E&psc=1&refRID=39HEJ6DW9S02VG6ACW8E

Our excess Guinea eggs go as dog food supplements and wild life sharing now. I still enjoy having the flock, so far from leading a vegan life style. The video below shows how battery layer hens look if they are lucky enough to be rescued. That is why I eat vegan now. No longer willing to pay someone to do this to an animal and not producing enough animal based food myself, so jus switched to vegan diet altogether. Easier that way and healthier, too.

View attachment 2364234
I’ve been vegetarian for a long time but not vegan. I like eating the eggs from the birds we raise. The dairy products are my main point of consternation.

Ugh, that's atrocious. I think I've seen this video before, but it really gets me every time. I don't know how anyone can try to make a profit off animal abuse, that's just not right. I don't know how their brains are wired, but it's beyond what I can understand. just unacceptable. Do you know the name of that german manufacturer? I would like to look into it more myself.

I don't think I'll ever go vegan, I do like meat...
but, I try to buy from my local farm when I can afford it, and I also try to get eggs off Facebook Marketplace from backyard chicken owners. There's even raw milk 5 minutes away, but my stomach doesn't agree with it, lol. I'm just fortunate to have these options around me, but when I was in the city, it was fairly cost prohibitive to buy local.

It's not just one manufacturer. In the U.S. we allow this mistreatment to be standard. It has gone so far that there are even laws that make it a criminal offense to take pictures of industrial farming in many states. This prevents information to get out to the public about what is done to the animals. The manufacturers who try to do better get pushed out of the market since they cannot produce as cheaply as the ones who do not give any consideration to the fact that they are dealing with live animals. Consumers do not ask where the product comes from or how it is produced, they ask for tasty food and lower prices. That drives the profit for industry and so this is what it looks like. The chickens are barely alive but still laying eggs. That is not a concern to agribusiness as we allow it here, as long as they are still laying or producing milk or meat.

I did not feel that I could go up against lobbyist in Washington giving politicians large amounts of money to allow all kinds of abuse, but I can vote at the checkout. As they said in the movie Food Inc.: every time you run an item over the checkout scanner, or let a clerk do it for you, you vote as a consumer and your vote is more powerful than you think.

If you want to learn more, I can recommend the book CAFO and the movie Food Inc., not for shock value but for real information and solutions. Both available on Amazon.

When I started, yes, I got eggs from our own birds or local back-yard chicken keepers (via a local health food store) and bought a cow share to get raw milk from a local farm that you can visit in person (you can boil it briefly, until it foams up, to kill bacteria), and got meat from our downtown butcher shop after having a long conversation with them. They get the meat from local farms as well as from further away but label each tray accordingly so you can chose. The local cows are butchered at a slaughter house that is within 50 miles from the farm. The people at the store know the farmers and the slaughter house folks, so there was some humanity in the way the animals were treated before they got killed and that was good enough for me for a while.

I got dog food from Open Farm, a Canadian company that stands for humane treatment of animals and responsible agriculture and fishing. As far as I know they have farm inspections by third parties that are unannounced to ensure animal welfare. There is a global standard that they meet. You can look into it some more. In the end I could not afford their prices every month and sadly have gone back to Costco dry dog food.
Next time I get a dog I will consider if I can afford to feed it with non-factory farmed meat or if I have the time to prepare fresh, local meat for it every day. That is not feasible for me right now. If you have a small dog or cat, their pet food may be affordable and a great solution for you.

It is not perfect but I felt like I could not just continue as I had after finding out how animals are treated in our food production industries. Going on a vegan diet was one relatively easy step for me. I had been off dairy and eggs for almost 10 years in 2000 to 2010, because I mistook Lyme Disease for food intolerance (long story), and was actually a lot healthier then.

These symbols may be something to look into and to look for if you are a concerned consumer:
symbols to look for.JPG

A couple of link that may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eri...1&keywords=food+inc+DVD&qid=1602183673&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/CAFO-Tragedy...8&sr=1-1-25b07e09-600a-4f0d-816e-b06387f8bcf1

https://openfarmpet.com/pages/ethical-sourcing

Last edited:
It's not just one manufacturer. In the U.S. we allow this mistreatment to be standard. It has gone so far that there are even laws that make it a criminal offense to take pictures of industrial farming in many states. This prevents information to get out to the public about what is done to the animals. The manufacturers who try to do better get pushed out of the market since they cannot produce as cheaply as the ones who didn’t o not give any consideration to the fact that they are dealing with live animals. Consumers do not ask where the product comes from or how it is produced, they ask for tasty food and lower prices. That drives the profit for industry and so this is what it looks like. The chickens are barely alive but still laying eggs. That is not a concern to agribusiness as we allow it here, as long as they are still laying or producing milk or meat.

I did not feel that I could go up against lobbyist in Washington giving politicians large amounts of money to allow all kinds of abuse, but I can vote at the checkout. As they said in the movie Food Inc.: every time you run an item over the checkout scanner, or let a clerk do it for you, you vote as a consumer and your vote is more powerful than you think.

If you want to learn more, I can recommend the book CAFO and the movie Food Inc., not for shock value but for real information and solutions. Both available on Amazon.

When I started, yes, I got eggs from our own birds or local back-yard chicken keepers (via a local health food store) and bought a cow share to get raw milk from a local farm that you can visit in person (you can boil it briefly, until it foams up, to kill bacteria), and got meat from our downtown butcher shop after having a long conversation with them. They get the meat from local farms as well as from further away but label each tray accordingly so you can chose. The local cows are butchered at a slaughter house that is within 50 miles from the farm. The people at the store know the farmers and the slaughter house folks, so there was some humanity in the way the animals were treated before they got killed and that was good enough for me for a while.

I got dog food from Open Farm, a Canadian company that stands for humane treatment of animals and responsible agriculture and fishing. As far as I know they have farm inspections by third parties that are unannounced to ensure animal welfare. There is a global standard that they meet. You can look into it some more. In the end I could not afford their prices every month and sadly have gone back to Costco dry dog food.
Next time I get a dog I will consider if I can afford to feed it with non-factory farmed meat or if I have the time to prepare fresh, local meat for it every day. That is not feasible for me right now. If you have a small dog or cat, their pet food may be affordable and a great solution for you.

It is not perfect but I felt like I could not just continue as I had after finding out how animals are treated in our food production industries. Going on a vegan diet was one relatively easy step for me. I had been off dairy and eggs for almost 10 years in 2000 to 2010, because I mistook Lyme Disease for food intolerance (long story), and was actually a lot healthier then.

These symbols may be something to look into and to look for if you are a concerned consumer:
View attachment 2365048

A couple of link that may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eri...1&keywords=food+inc+DVD&qid=1602183673&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/CAFO-Tragedy...8&sr=1-1-25b07e09-600a-4f0d-816e-b06387f8bcf1

https://openfarmpet.com/pages/ethical-sourcing

It’s always so nice seeing that the battery hens can do well if they are given a chance. I’ve been tangentially involved with the US animal farming system for years, and that’s why I went vegetarian, back in 1990. My main issue has always been with close confinement, big business farming, where market forces drive the animal husbandry decisions. The poultry and swine systems are the ones that I’m most troubled by, with the swine and battery hens being the worst of the lot. For awhile I was buying my family meat from a local farm, which I think is so much more humane and healthy. However, we have no freezer space and I was the only one cooking the local meat, which is not really sustainable long term. Once we’ve butchered and consumed our current group of meat chickens, I expect I’ll try again with our local places. It’s an uphill battle for me though when I’m the only one in our family who values local.

Back
Top Bottom