1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving the quail "treats"

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Beckey2054, Jun 19, 2012.

1. quailchick

quailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012

I decided to try giving them fruit for the first time today, they are 3 mth. old Bobwhites. I gave them apricot chopped up. The picked at it a little bit, but didn't seem to like it much. I gave them egg yolk, which I usually give them the whites too...but the don't eat all the whites, so I decided to give them just yolk...well, they didn't eat very much of the yolk either, which they usually eat it up...maybe they just weren't hungry.

2. GalloSiSupieras

GalloSiSupieras Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2012
    City of Detroit
    Sounds good to me! Do you just have a second waterer of it in full strength, or do you just have it diluted into their regular water?

3. quailchick

Jul 18, 2012
    She told me she uses two tablespoons per quart of water...I found that to be a bit strong, so I have a rabbit waterer that is about one quart, so I put one tablespoon and the birds don't smell at all. I originally was using pine shavings, but they made such a mess with it, so now I use pellets now (Eagle Valley ABM) and it is much less mess. I still give them pine shavings under their shelf where they like to take naps. I have them in my dining room right next to my kitchen, so I would notice if they smelled bad. I have heard that coturnix smell worse than Bobwhites, but I don't know if that is true.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    The proper strength of Apple Cider Vinegar is 1 to 2 Tablespoons per 1 gallon of water for maintenance. For treating sick birds, use 3 Tablespoons of ACV per one gallon of water.

5. quailchick

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks, I thought two per quart was too strong. I have been using one per quart

6. Peacerose

Peacerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    TwoCrows, what does apple cider vinegar treat besides the smell?

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    ACV is an overall health tonic for the birds. It keeps the crop at a lower ph value so it does not sour, has antibacterial/antifungal properties, helps with nausea, aids in digestion, increases the appetite, contains amino acids and many minerals, etc...Over all it is good for all poultry as well as humans. I use it once a week on all my poultry and it seems to really get their plumage shining, even when they need a good molt, they will still look good.

8. Peacerose

Peacerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks! I'm going to try it.

9. GalloSiSupieras

GalloSiSupieras Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2012
    City of Detroit
    Thanks for the advice! Can it be placed in a waterer with a metal base, or should I switch it out for a plastic base?

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    No, never use metal waterers with ACV, it will corrode the metal and leach zinc into the water. Always use plastic only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by