1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving up a child?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by oesdog, Jan 11, 2012.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It's in the lower left of your post - the pencil icon next to the flag.

Breathe!!! [​IMG] While I worry about Danny for you, for a minute [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Sweetie, you are NOT giving him up or giving up on him. You are freeing him to a safe life with people who understand his needs and will not hurt him emotionally. they will take what skills he has and build on them and he will grow with trained staff around to support him. most facilities like this allow you to visit whenever you want and you can take him home with you for outings and overnight visits... at least that is the way it is here in the USA. He can have the best of both worlds... his family and a safe place to live out his life.

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

All of the above plus you are providing for his future when you are no longer here to take care of him It is a wise and good thing that you are considering.

1 person likes this.
  6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Oesdog, sorry you're having such a stressful time right now. The only thing I can do to help is point out where the EDIT button went to. It's now in the lower left corner of your post. Right next to the red flag for reporting, it's a little yellow pencil icon now. Took me a minute to find it earlier. [​IMG] Things will work themselves out for you, I'm sure.

7. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Lots of great, supportive comments already. I second them all! [​IMG]

This sounds like a great opportunity for your son, as well as for you and your husband.

1 person likes this.
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    For many years my work was in institutions that mostly care for the elderly demented and for adult severely disabled. I promise you that your feelings are very normal for this situation. You aren't losing a child at all, even though I know it feels like it. Remember that. He is only moving to a place that can better meet his needs, because of things that are available there, but aren't available in your home. It sounds like you realize this is for the best, even though there is that inevitable feeling of loss. And it will be painful for a while, and you will grieve. Hopefully, in time you will feel very differently about the move. I certainly wish you all well.

9. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    [​IMG] I do not usually hug strangers but you need it now. You are doing the hardest thing a parent can do, you see that someone else can help now where you can't. You will get through this and many more things, but remember........They can offer different things he needs but they can't replace you. You will always be MOM and DAD. He will learn many new and interesting things and he will be able to tell you about them and MAYBE teach you a few things......God has blessed you with these children because He new you could do this better than some........

I thank God for the Parents like you.
    [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You're not giving him up... not at all.
    You're giving him a chance to experience other things and have professional help DAILY 24/7... you are helping him!
    I have read your past posts about how abusive he can be,.. etc...
    It must be so very hard for you and your family to endure... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by