Giving wrong feed to 12 day old Roos! What do I do now!

Kotiya

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
South-West Ohio
This is my son's 4-H project and we trusted the TSC guy who gave us the Dumor Starter Feed of 20%. Just read that our chicks should be eating 24%. I don't know where to get it (Btwn Cincinnati and Dayton OH) or if I need to bother at this point? They are growing. One appears to have weak legs - stands to eat & drink but just sits or crawls a lot. Others are approx 10-13 oz. One teeny one is 8 oz. Please help - I'm such a newbie!

You do not need 24% for chickens. That is not what is causing the
weak legs.

Weak legs are common in chicks. If the others start experiencing
the same thing I'd be concerned but if it's just one don't worry.

20% and lots of water is fine. Give them a vitamin if you can find it at TSC.
You can also use Polyvisol, a kids vitamin, that you can get at any pharmacy.

Last edited:
I don't like Dumor Feeds. In my opinion it literally stinks (smellbad). The few times that I have been forced to buy it, my hens don't cotton to it very well either.

The people at TSC said that I would love it, you don't have to fee as much as other feeds !

Well, of course not, my hens will barely eat it. Two days on Dumor and the egg production slows by 50% or better.

My broilers will eat it, but, I am not sure there is any thing on this earth that broilers won't at least try !

For what it is worth, my horses don't like Dumor horse feed either.

Sometimes animals really ARE smarter than people.

As long as it's at least 20%, your birds will be fine. I can't imagine any real leg problems showing up already at only 12 days, so they're probably fine and will get stronger as they grow.

Agreed with PurpleChicken... 24% is on the high end of what you can feed to chicks. 20% is absolutely fine. Putting vitamins in their water may well help with the weak legs.

20% is okay.

The week legs on one chick and if I understand correctly one runt.
In every batch of chicks you are going to have a few that aren't quite right.

Mine love the Dumor feed but since I couldnt get 20% Igave them chopped hard boiled eggsas an extra side dish. since I had an over abundance.

then as the Hens get older I give them
Purina layena feed .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom