Glassing eggs - how much lime settling is too much

thatssewmimi

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
I am new to glassing and have a question. Regardless of the amount of stirring and shaking I cannot get the lime totally dissolved. I have lime settling in the bottom of my jar and on top of the eggs. Will my eggs still be good to eat?

The settling is fine and normal. You have to rinse off eggs that come out of the container before use anyway, so don't worry about any on the eggs themselves. The purpose of the lime is to make the water very alkaline and protect against bacteria access to the eggs. Fortunately, the lime is cheap.

Are you using the mix: 1oz (weight) of lime / quart of water?

Theory:
I suspect that the standard mix is just too high on the lime which simply results in the excess not dissolving. Not harmful, but wasteful. I have not tested the ideal mix to minimize settling, what effect is has on PH and how it might affect egg preservation.

Part of why you add stuff to the water is that when you study food preservation water and air are the enemy. That's why we add stuff to the water, so it won't rot the food. I hope this helps you. So I think probably there is some allowance in some deviation of the amount of lime being OK. (sorry I can't tell you how far that limit is though.)

Back
Top Bottom