Glassing Eggs (first timer)

I'm doing my first water glass jar tonight.
Good luck.
Can you glass eggs that have been refrigerated? How fresh do eggs have to be to glass them?
They can be refrigerated, but I don't. There is no need as clean, unwashed eggs can be kept on the countertop for weeks and still be edible. I try to preserve them as soon as possible, but it doesn't have to be the day collected. I collect eggs and put them into containers in batches, so I never keep them out longer than 3-4 days before they go into the container.

The key is to insure that you are using clean, unwashed eggs. The thin waxy "bloom" is essential to the preservation process. Commercial eggs are washed by law, so they can't be preserved this way.

My directions say 1 oz of lime per 1 qt of water. But it doesn't say 1 ounce by weight or by measuring spoon. How do I know which it is, please?
If you don't have a scale, the one ounce equals 4 level TBSP. I've been water glassing for years and always do the TBSP

Can you glass eggs that have been refrigerated? How fresh do eggs have to be to glass them?
No, do not glass eggs that have been in the fridge. Once cold, they have to stay cold. Just keep clean, unwashed eggs out of the fridge and put them in the solution as soon as possible. Some days, I only put one egg in the solution. Other days, all seven go in

Why? I've water-glassed eggs for years, periodically using refrigerated eggs without issue.

PS- I don't recommend refrigerating these eggs, but I haven't seen problems with it.
Like I said, once they are cold, they have to stay cold. And depending on where someone stores the water glassed eggs, they might be warmer than a fridge. Mine are in my basement and it gets warmer in there in the summer and cooler in the winter. Why even bother putting them in the fridge if someone is gonna water glass them? Just put them in the solution as they are collected

Back
Top Bottom