Glassing Eggs (first timer)

Fluffymamaslover

Hatching
Feb 19, 2024
Hi I am about to start glassing my eggs! I am wondering if it would be alright to add a few eggs at a time to a jar of pickling lime water. I'll carefully seal the jar between additions but I don't have enough eggs to fill a whole jar at one time. Is this ok? Thank you!

Hi I am about to start glassing my eggs! I am wondering if it would be alright to add a few eggs at a time to a jar of pickling lime water. I'll carefully seal the jar between additions but I don't have enough eggs to fill a whole jar at one time. Is this ok? Thank you!
Yup. That is fine, in fact I use that basic procedure. I keep adding eggs to my 2 gallon bucket, but don't add all of the lime water initially. I add a quart of pre-mixed lime water when needed so I don't have to reach way down into lime water to add the new eggs.

PS- You don't need a fancy seal, just a covered container is fine. The lime water does the main work.

PPS- You might want to consult the master thread on water glassing. It has plenty of Q&A on the subject.

Thank you so much! That is super helpful! I am brand new to backyard chicken and still figuring out the format :) Thanks for letting me know there is a master thread! I will check it out!

I am also new to glassing and have a question. Regardless of the amount of stirring and shaking I cannot get the lime totally dissolved. I have lime settling in the bottom of my jar and on top of the eggs. Will my eggs still be good to eat?

We generally just stack the eggs into the jar and when full we fill with the premix lime water solution to cover the eggs and screw the lid on.

I am also new to glassing and have a question. Regardless of the amount of stirring and shaking I cannot get the lime totally dissolved. I have lime settling in the bottom of my jar and on top of the eggs. Will my eggs still be good to eat?
Yes. This is normal. I strongly suspect that means that we are actually using more lime than necessary, but I have never tested the theory. The point is that the water is very basic due to the lime and prevents bacteria/etc. from surviving and getting to the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom