Water Glassing /Hydrogen Peroxide

I wonder if the float test would work after water glassing
Many say on a normal egg that’s been in fridge or counter to test if they are still good you put them in water
If it sinks it’s good. If it floats it’s old
The float test will probably not work after water glassing.

For eggs that have been stored somewhere dry, the air cell gets bigger over time, because water evaporates from the egg. The bigger air cell is what makes the egg float. A floating egg means a big air cell, which means an old egg (but does not tell if the egg has rotted or spoiled, only that it is old enough that it lost a lot of moisture and now has a big air cell.)

For eggs stored in water glass, where they are submerged in liquid, the air cell should not get any bigger, no matter how long they are in there. So there would be nothing to make them float.

The float test will probably not work after water glassing.

For eggs that have been stored somewhere dry, the air cell gets bigger over time, because water evaporates from the egg. The bigger air cell is what makes the egg float. A floating egg means a big air cell, which means an old egg (but does not tell if the egg has rotted or spoiled, only that it is old enough that it lost a lot of moisture and now has a big air cell.)

For eggs stored in water glass, where they are submerged in liquid, the air cell should not get any bigger, no matter how long they are in there. So there would be nothing to make them float.
Thank you
I haven’t tried it so really didn’t know how it worked
Other then reading lots of comments of people doing it to test the egg after sitting out for awhile
If it floats they throw them away

Shouldn't need to put new nest bedding in every day.
Are they sleeping in the nests at night?
That's usually how nests get pooped in.
Yes, sadly that's generally where they sleep even though they have other areas (now) to roost in. Is there a way to break this habit? When we were building the coop, we didn't build any roosting ledges for them to sleep on, and I know we should have, but once again, I was a green horn, and I still am to some things when it comes to chickens, but they now have roosting bars to get on, but still sleep in nesting area. I know this is working backwards, but is there a way to break this habit?

I am a novice too, but i have been waterglassing eggs for about a year. Here's what i've learned - Dont use the poopy eggs for waterglassing. Use those for eating now, or preserve them by freezing instead. You want to select the cleanest eggs for waterglassing. The bloom comes off easily, so dont use hydrogen peroxide or anything moist. Brush nominal bits off with a dry cloth. I had a big 2 gallon beverage dispenser i opted to use for the project. The Lime solution will damage and etch the glass, so don't expect to use your jars for another purpose later! For me a wide mouth quart jar was too narrow to easily get eggs in and out, i think thats why some use a bucket. I used glass so i could see what was happening inside the jar! i did have some eggs break (maybe had a bloom problem?) and my info told me to discard the lime solution and start over if that happens. Second time, none broke. I keep mine covered but I dont think having a seal matters. The eggs just need to stay submerged.

i use a ladle to get eggs out to use, or I use a rubber glove on my hand if Im going to reach into the solution (thats easier, frankly!) The solution is very caustic. You also want to wash the eggs well before cracking so none of the lime solution gets in your food.

My problem now is that i want to do a new batch of waterglassing but I still have a lot of eggs from my last time. Some are over a year old. The yolks break very easily so i wondered if they are safe or deteriorating? I scrambled some and they were fine; i also baked with some and the muffins turned out very nice. Then i broke open a few and there seemed to be cloudiness in some of the white near the yolk. I discarded those. I wish someone would post a photo of what it looks like when an egg has deteriorated too much to use. I have no sense of smell, so I cant tell that way! Id appreciate feedback if anyone knows! Good luck! Im glad to hear others are using this method!
Gracetaker:

Thank you for all of the information, I really appreciate it!

I would suggest you use the dirty eggs for eating soon.

Eggs that are already clean will probably last better than eggs that are stored dirty, or eggs that had to be washed.

Are they pooping in the nests?
Or walking through mud and tracking it into the nest?

It seems odd to me that you would need fresh hay every day.
NatJ:
I would say probably both, but more of the pooping in the nesting area situation. I don't replace the hay everyday. The reason I made that comment was that's what I figured why the eggs were dirty or better yet "poopy" because I wasn't changing out the hay as often as I should have, I've just been very busy lately, there's not enough hours in the day. haha. And I have come to realize that the nesting area is just for that, nesting, and not roosting, cause as i mentioned, I am somewhat a green horn still, BUT, I am learning.

Yes, sadly that's generally where they sleep even though they have other areas (now) to roost in. Is there a way to break this habit? When we were building the coop, we didn't build any roosting ledges for them to sleep on, and I know we should have, but once again, I was a green horn, and I still am to some things when it comes to chickens, but they now have roosting bars to get on, but still sleep in nesting area. I know this is working backwards, but is there a way to break this habit?
Yep, there sure is!
Block the nests off an hour before roosting time, then unblock them when locking up after dark.

Yep, there sure is!
Block the nests off an hour before roosting time, then unblock them when locking up after dark.
Ok, I will have to try this! Do you have a general idea of how long it takes to break this habit?

Ok, so for the water glassing, do not use dirty eggs. The eggs must be clean but don't wash them, the bloom must stay intact. And I use a two gallon glass jar from Walmart. It needs to have a lid but not a seal. The lid is to prevent the water from evaporating, not to create a seal. Go ahead and reach in with clean hands or a clean spoon anytime you want to get eggs out. Then replace the lid. And when you grab an egg, don't be surprised if there is a layer of dried crusty stuff on the water. That's from the lime and is normal if the water hasn't been disturbed for a little while. It's no big deal

I would wait till dark and move them to roost bars till they get the hang of it. Or block nest box after all have laid till they get the hang it make sure roist bars are higher than nest boxes. They love being as high as possible .
I have used quart jar and half gallon jars . I can't remember how many I got in it.i know the white does deteriorate after awhile but smell is the best indicator of edible. Hydrogen peroxide is very caustic so it would remove bloom for sure .

Back
Top Bottom