Water Glassing /Hydrogen Peroxide

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Okay y'all, I have been on this fluffy butt learning journey of mine since February, and I'm needing some advice/information regarding a question I have about water glassing my eggs. Since my girls have just recently started laying good and consistently, I've got eggs coming in good now. Well, so much that I've started researching "water glassing", and all it involves. I know you can choose to wash your eggs and refrigerate or not wash them and let them stay on counter up to a few weeks. Well, here's my question...Some of the eggs sometimes tend to get poop and debris on them, and since I want my eggs to be pretty when I water glass them, does anyone know if using hydrogen peroxide will remove the protective bloom on them? Or know of any kind of wash that I can rinse the poopy ones in to take all that off? I know the quality of the egg is what's important here, more than looks, but I just don't want my eggs to look nasty in the jars when I water glass them. I have researched how to remove the debris and all using the "dry-washing" method, but I tried that last night with the eggs from the day, but it didn't get everything off. Another question, this may sound crazy to ask, but.....when you open up the container to get whatever eggs you need out, does it damage the quality of the solution, therefore damaging the eggs that are left in the solution, or is the eggs fine as long as they stay submerged under the solution? I'm only asking in a sense that when you're canning different things, I've heard here and there about the importance of sealing it. Is this not applicable to water glassed eggs?
Also, what is the best kind of containers to water glass in? I have heard 5-Gallon Buckets w/lid, but I've also seen where some said using the 5-Gallon buckets work good, but were heavier if you did have to move them. I thought about using the 1-Gallon or 3-Gallon buckets, but currently I opted just using quart sized glass jars. Is this a good choice? Any advice is appreciated, however, please keep in mind that although I have learned quite a bit in my short time since I've started this fluffy butts journey, I would still consider myself a green horn, so be kind. Happy Friday everyone!

Last edited:
I've just started water-glassing for the first time. My container is a square 4- gallon food safe container. I live in an RV so I store the eggs under the bed. I thought about using mason jars but I didn't think a quart-sized jar would hold very many eggs. I get six to eight eggs for just two people to eat. My bin is filling fast.

My hens rarely poop in the nesting box. The eggs are rarely dirty.

How many eggs can you fit in the jars? (I bet it's quite pretty.) Could you use 1 gallon jars instead?

I've just started water-glassing for the first time. My container is a square 4- gallon food safe container. I live in an RV so I store the eggs under the bed. I thought about using mason jars but I didn't think a quart-sized jar would hold very many eggs. I get six to eight eggs for just two people to eat. My bin is filling fast.

My hens rarely poop in the nesting box. The eggs are rarely dirty.

How many eggs can you fit in the jars? (I bet it's quite pretty.) Could you use 1 gallon jars instead?

Well, the whole poop thing is partially by fault of mine, I don’t put new hay in the nesting boxes everyday, so that’s my fault. I thought about it, and that’s probably why…to an extent. Also, I haven’t water glassed any yet, but I’m betting probably maybe 10 eggs? I don’t know, I’m just so ready to start doing the water glassing! I’ve already bought everything I need. Also, the reason I chose glass quart jars is because I figured they’d be easier to store and easy to maneuver than a heavy bucket.

Well, the whole poop thing is partially by fault of mine, I don’t put new hay in the nesting boxes everyday, so that’s my fault. I thought about it, and that’s probably why…to an extent.
Shouldn't need to put new nest bedding in every day.
Are they sleeping in the nests at night?
That's usually how nests get pooped in.

Some of the eggs sometimes tend to get poop and debris on them
I would suggest you use the dirty eggs for eating soon.

Eggs that are already clean will probably last better than eggs that are stored dirty, or eggs that had to be washed.

Well, the whole poop thing is partially by fault of mine, I don’t put new hay in the nesting boxes everyday, so that’s my fault.
Are they pooping in the nests?
Or walking through mud and tracking it into the nest?

It seems odd to me that you would need fresh hay every day.

Okay y'all, I have been on this fluffy butt learning journey of mine since February, and I'm needing some advice/information regarding a question I have about water glassing my eggs. Since my girls have just recently started laying good and consistently, I've got eggs coming in good now. Well, so much that I've started researching "water glassing", and all it involves. I know you can choose to wash your eggs and refrigerate or not wash them and let them stay on counter up to a few weeks. Well, here's my question...Some of the eggs sometimes tend to get poop and debris on them, and since I want my eggs to be pretty when I water glass them, does anyone know if using hydrogen peroxide will remove the protective bloom on them? Or know of any kind of wash that I can rinse the poopy ones in to take all that off? I know the quality of the egg is what's important here, more than looks, but I just don't want my eggs to look nasty in the jars when I water glass them. I have researched how to remove the debris and all using the "dry-washing" method, but I tried that last night with the eggs from the day, but it didn't get everything off. Another question, this may sound crazy to ask, but.....when you open up the container to get whatever eggs you need out, does it damage the quality of the solution, therefore damaging the eggs that are left in the solution, or is the eggs fine as long as they stay submerged under the solution? I'm only asking in a sense that when you're canning different things, I've heard here and there about the importance of sealing it. Is this not applicable to water glassed eggs?
Also, what is the best kind of containers to water glass in? I have heard 5-Gallon Buckets w/lid, but I've also seen where some said using the 5-Gallon buckets work good, but were heavier if you did have to move them. I thought about using the 1-Gallon or 3-Gallon buckets, but currently I opted just using quart sized glass jars. Is this a good choice? Any advice is appreciated, however, please keep in mind that although I have learned quite a bit in my short time since I've started this fluffy butts journey, I would still consider myself a green horn, so be kind. Happy Friday everyone!
I am a novice too, but i have been waterglassing eggs for about a year. Here's what i've learned - Dont use the poopy eggs for waterglassing. Use those for eating now, or preserve them by freezing instead. You want to select the cleanest eggs for waterglassing. The bloom comes off easily, so dont use hydrogen peroxide or anything moist. Brush nominal bits off with a dry cloth. I had a big 2 gallon beverage dispenser i opted to use for the project. The Lime solution will damage and etch the glass, so don't expect to use your jars for another purpose later! For me a wide mouth quart jar was too narrow to easily get eggs in and out, i think thats why some use a bucket. I used glass so i could see what was happening inside the jar! i did have some eggs break (maybe had a bloom problem?) and my info told me to discard the lime solution and start over if that happens. Second time, none broke. I keep mine covered but I dont think having a seal matters. The eggs just need to stay submerged.

i use a ladle to get eggs out to use, or I use a rubber glove on my hand if Im going to reach into the solution (thats easier, frankly!) The solution is very caustic. You also want to wash the eggs well before cracking so none of the lime solution gets in your food.

My problem now is that i want to do a new batch of waterglassing but I still have a lot of eggs from my last time. Some are over a year old. The yolks break very easily so i wondered if they are safe or deteriorating? I scrambled some and they were fine; i also baked with some and the muffins turned out very nice. Then i broke open a few and there seemed to be cloudiness in some of the white near the yolk. I discarded those. I wish someone would post a photo of what it looks like when an egg has deteriorated too much to use. I have no sense of smell, so I cant tell that way! Id appreciate feedback if anyone knows! Good luck! Im glad to hear others are using this method!

I am a novice too, but i have been waterglassing eggs for about a year. Here's what i've learned - Dont use the poopy eggs for waterglassing. Use those for eating now, or preserve them by freezing instead. You want to select the cleanest eggs for waterglassing. The bloom comes off easily, so dont use hydrogen peroxide or anything moist. Brush nominal bits off with a dry cloth. I had a big 2 gallon beverage dispenser i opted to use for the project. The Lime solution will damage and etch the glass, so don't expect to use your jars for another purpose later! For me a wide mouth quart jar was too narrow to easily get eggs in and out, i think thats why some use a bucket. I used glass so i could see what was happening inside the jar! i did have some eggs break (maybe had a bloom problem?) and my info told me to discard the lime solution and start over if that happens. Second time, none broke. I keep mine covered but I dont think having a seal matters. The eggs just need to stay submerged.

i use a ladle to get eggs out to use, or I use a rubber glove on my hand if Im going to reach into the solution (thats easier, frankly!) The solution is very caustic. You also want to wash the eggs well before cracking so none of the lime solution gets in your food.

My problem now is that i want to do a new batch of waterglassing but I still have a lot of eggs from my last time. Some are over a year old. The yolks break very easily so i wondered if they are safe or deteriorating? I scrambled some and they were fine; i also baked with some and the muffins turned out very nice. Then i broke open a few and there seemed to be cloudiness in some of the white near the yolk. I discarded those. I wish someone would post a photo of what it looks like when an egg has deteriorated too much to use. I have no sense of smell, so I cant tell that way! Id appreciate feedback if anyone knows! Good luck! Im glad to hear others are using this method!
I wonder if the float test would work after water glassing
Many say on a normal egg that’s been in fridge or counter to test if they are still good you put them in water
If it sinks it’s good. If it floats it’s old

Back
Top Bottom