Gleet or something else?

Treemanjlp

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
I was told almost two weeks ago my girls had gleet and I would have to kill them if I couldn’t get rid of it in two weeks. Time is up on Monday. My girls are 8-12 months and had leaky bottoms with bright red underbellys on a couple so I added acv/w mother to their water. They get 2 probiotic capsules between the 13 hens and antifungal cream on their bums. They have responded well to this but I missed a day and the red came back overnight. I started them on medistatin yesterday but noticed above their vents are yellow and peeling. We don’t have a vet on this island and the only symptom is red bottoms and runny butts. Now the peeling skin. I will not kill my chickens as long as they aren’t in pain or showing complications. They free range and only get egg layer at this time. They lay every day with no problems. I’m wondering if it really is gleet.

Attachments

• 06CA1A94-F507-4D57-B911-3C22D5092ACD.jpeg
    06CA1A94-F507-4D57-B911-3C22D5092ACD.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 18
  • D1BAE442-80A0-4A1D-A474-23D7D17DECE6.jpeg
    D1BAE442-80A0-4A1D-A474-23D7D17DECE6.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 108C4B41-0672-4254-8928-91BAF49B7BBB.jpeg
    108C4B41-0672-4254-8928-91BAF49B7BBB.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 11
  • FB9ADD42-230E-4F53-BC66-6429F8C66060.jpeg
    FB9ADD42-230E-4F53-BC66-6429F8C66060.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
I'm not very familiar with this condition, but it doesn't look like anyone else is answering.

Did whoever told you that give you a reason why they thought it was vent gleet? I'm not seeing any of the standard whitish discharge and caked feces.
Diarrhea has many causes, not only yeast infections, which is the most commonly used definition for vent gleet (though some extend it to include inflammation of the cloaca from any cause.) Your birds don't look bad in the image, and I certainly wouldn't cull them for it. Do you have any pictures of what their vents and fluff looked like before you bathed them? I'm assuming your last two pictures are from after they were dried off.

I'm not very familiar with this condition, but it doesn't look like anyone else is answering.

Did whoever told you that give you a reason why they thought it was vent gleet? I'm not seeing any of the standard whitish discharge and caked feces.
Diarrhea has many causes, not only yeast infections, which is the most commonly used definition for vent gleet (though some extend it to include inflammation of the cloaca from any cause.) Your birds don't look bad in the image, and I certainly wouldn't cull them for it. Do you have any pictures of what their vents and fluff looked like before you bathed them? I'm assuming your last two pictures are from after they were dried off.
My lovie was walking funny and when examined her underbelly was flaming red, runny poop, and missing belly feathers. Twinkie had white runny poop on her feathers and was missing belly feathers too. Several of the other girls had poop sticking to their feathers. This was the basis for her opinion (she has raised them for years). I am done medicating, their vent skin peeled. They actually look like they are healing up. Thank you for your response! Everyone says I got a bad batch of chickens, but all 13 are laying, free ranging, and fairly content.

My lovie was walking funny and when examined her underbelly was flaming red, runny poop, and missing belly feathers. Twinkie had white runny poop on her feathers and was missing belly feathers too. Several of the other girls had poop sticking to their feathers. This was the basis for her opinion (she has raised them for years). I am done medicating, their vent skin peeled. They actually look like they are healing up. Thank you for your response! Everyone says I got a bad batch of chickens, but all 13 are laying, free ranging, and fairly content.
Glad to hear that!

Mine started getting poo on their butts and I stopped feeding them mealworms and in only a week, they are back to having fluffy butts. so diet can play a major issue in their backsides.
You say you are on an island maybe it's something there they are eating.
Who is telling you that you have to kill them if they are not well? How long has it been since you treated for Coccidiosis?

Edited to add: I would work on building up their immune systems....via something like Rooster Booster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom