To quarantine or not to quarantine? Help!

Mar 11, 2024
Y’all please don’t roast me.

I have a 3.5 week old Wyandotte chick that I’ve been battling what I think is vent gleet.
I noticed it 4-5 days ago and thought it was pasty butt, but after two days of that I realized all of what I’m seeing is white. Its vent was bulging and swollen so I thought constipation. Made sure it was well hydrated. Used epsom salt soaks and hemorrhoid cream without pain relief. No improvement to the white discharge. I wouldn’t say it smells any worse than regular chicken poop. So for two days I’ve been doing oral and external monistat to treat the gleet as I’ve seen recommended in previous posts on this page.

They get water with sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics and non medicated chick starter. None of the rest of my flock has any issue. I don’t think it’s relevant but I’m 90% sure this one is a cockerel.

This chick has plenty of energy. Is eating and drinking normally and is pooping normally as well.

My questions:
Can you look at the photo and tell me if this is even the right thing? Am I right in thinking it’s vent gleet? Any other suggestions? Is it possible this is just excessive urates and I’m being overzealous?

Should I have this one isolated from the rest of the flock? I worried about it being alone at this age.

(Also, if I isolate, it means I have to move my almost 2 week old babies out with the 4 week old flock to make room for a quarantine brooder and before I did all that I wanted to just be sure. I don’t want the big babies to beat up the littler ones.)

Thanks for any and all help and thanks in advance for not calling me a dummy in the comments 🫠
IMG_4703.jpeg
IMG_4705.jpeg

I would not separate the chick. Where did the chicks come from? Can you get a picture of the vent cleaned up, or is the white Monistat? The white may be chicken uric acid. Is there any vent damage due to pecking?

I would not separate the chick. Where did the chicks come from? Can you get a picture of the vent cleaned up, or is the white Monistat? The white may be chicken uric acid. Is there any vent damage due to pecking?
I’ll take a picture this morning. The vent looks good. No damage and the swelling has gone down. I don’t believe the white is monistat because it’s been like that before I started that as treatment. On the separating, I just worried it would spread to the rest of the flock. If it’s uric acid, why is there so much of it and what can I do about it? Also, this chick and its hatchmate came from a local farmer/breeder. Hatchmate is perfectly healthy.

Here are some pictures. the chicks poop from last night, it’s vent before and after cleaning, and then after it dried. No monistat applied this morning just so I can check again this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpeg
    IMG_4706.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4707.jpeg
    IMG_4707.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4708.jpeg
    IMG_4708.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 3
:hugs I promise you, no one is going to flame you or call you names here. We just want to help you help your chick. We're glad you came here to get help.

Back
Top Bottom