gleHelp! Duck was attacked by eagle.

Mnranch

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Hi all,
I have a year old female khaki Campbell duck that was attacked my an eagle yesterday. She's in pretty rough shape and am hoping someone has some advice. She doesn't seem to be in pain, however she can't move much. She has a puncture wound on the back of her head and on her breast under her left wing that I've doctored with blu kote as best I can. I don't have access to any antibiotics or commercial vitamins etc til tomorrow. After the attack she was able to stand and walk a bit when put on her feet. Then she quit walking and laid stretched almost completely straight for the night. Her eyes have been clear and alert the whole time. This morning she was moving her legs a bit...more like flipping, while laying on her side. Now she's moving her left leg a lot more than the right, however her right leg does recoil a bit when touched and manipulated. She is not able to lift her head all the way up, but can somewhat support it herself when we pick her up to bring good and water to her. She is drinking a lot when we bring her to the water. She did eat a little bit earlier today, however wouldn't eat hardly anything tonight. Still looking alert and clear eyed. Needing some advice and hopefully done words of encouragement...if there's any hope. This is my first severely injured duck and I had little to no hope of her making it through the night last night. Since she did IM wanting to do anything I can to help her make it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Also, it's been a long winter and our low tonight is only 25 degrees. IM not sure if I should bring her inside to stay warm, or of I should leave her I. The kennel I put her in inside the coop with her buddies. Id hate for her to get too warm since she's been acclimated to cooler weather. IM also not sure if it's better for her to be around her buddies in a safe enclosure or if she would do better in quiet isolation inside.

Back
Top Bottom