Gloves for dunking chickens in hot water?

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
I need gloves to dunk chickens into water 155 degrees for 1 minute. I want to dunk the chicken, even the feet, while I hold chicken by feet.

Which should I buy? Where? I'm having trouble because my pair were given to me and so I don't know where to get replacements. Which kind do you use for complete chicken dunking?

I use those chemical resist gloves I got at Home Depot. It's blue with textured fingers that make it easy to grip/pluck, they have an inner liner that holds back the heat for a little while---anyway.

I just use regular heavy-duty latex kitchen gloves. If I want to dunk the feet, I hold one foot and dunk the other, then switch. You can always hold the bird right side-up, and do the feet first, then flip 'im over and dunk the rest while holding the feet.

Those blue gloves from HD, that Darkmatter mentioned, might be better, I only found the ones with just the fingers and palms dipped in the textured blue stuff, but I've seen some that were the textured blue all over. A friend of mine has a pair, he said they came from Walmart, in the paint dept., I haven't been to Walmart yet, since I saw his, but I'm checking next time I go there. They'd be a lot better for grip, and for plucking.

you can get silicone BBQ gloves that are heat resistant up to i think 500 degrees, i have a pair that i got a Cabelas that i actually use to reach into a pot of grease to retrieve my fried turkeys !! ( i should start making bets to visitors around my house because up until the time i actually reach in to get the turkey out of the greese they think im lying to them) just be careful not to dunk to deep in the water as the gloves dont quite go to my elbows, i believe i have seen the same BBQ gloves at Bass Pro and at Wal Mart

Quote:
I agree with this. It's not THAT hot. I wouldn't want to hold my hand in there for any length of time but it's pretty doable to go without gloves. I have my scald a bit cooler though. I go about 90 seconds at 140. 155 seems like it's getting a bit on the high side of the scalding range. Perhaps using a lower temperature for longer would allow you to get things done without gloves altogether? I just use a long spoon to hold the feet down if I want to peel the scales off. Mostly though, I just bag up the feet and dole them out to the dogs with their dinner.

Dan

I imagine a pair of rubber gloves (like you see used for household cleaning) would be enough, just keeping the water from direct contact with your skin should be enough.

We zip tie the legs together and hold them with that;and you can use a hook to hold them by the ziptie and dunk them; your water should not be so hot that you cant stand over it. 150 is about right for dunking.
smile.png

Quote:
I find water that is 140 is just barely too hot for my hands; I would not be comfortable with my hand in 150 degree water for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom