Gluten Free complete layer food?

IdahoPrepper

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2015
I have an egg allergy and I wanted to try gluten free feed. Is it possible to mix a complete layer ration? I also have a gluten allergy and noticed the chicken feed has wheat in it.

On edit-------->>>>

I found some fodder but it is not complete

http://www.rainbowranchfarms.com/#!product/prd2/2500416061/all-bird-&-poultry-food-(gluten--free)

Looks like they are using animal organs, animal meat, seeds, nuts, fruits and bugs.

May contain loose fine grind, pellets, crumble or chunks depending on our seasonal
ingredients available and on our preparation and molding methods.
Pasture Raised,
Pasture Raised,
Heritage Chicken. Grass-Fed, Grass-Finished Beef. Heritage Beef. Organic Poultry in California. Corn-Free Chicken. Soy-Free Chicken. Wheat-free
This is Heritage
NOT Pork.
a vegetarian
fodder.
Chicken. Gluten-Free Chicken. G.M.O.-Free Poultry in California. GMO-Free Organic Pork. GMO-Free, Organic Beef. Organic, Heritage Turkey. Pasture Raised, Heritage Turkey. Pasture Raised Chicken
Eggs. GMO-Free Eggs. Organic Lamb. Free-Range, Heritage Chickens. Vaccine-Free. Antibiotic-Free. No Added Hormones. Beyond Organic. Humane Handling. Rainbow

At least 65% protein
At least 25% Good fat
At least 10% fiber

This is designed for free-ranging, foraging wild birds, game birds, chickens, ducks, geese,
turkeys, layers, tweetie (caged) birds and predatory birds.

May contain vaccine-free, antibiotic-free, GMO-free
Wild Game Meat
Wild Game Organs
Wild Seasonal Seeds, fruit & Nuts
Farm Grown Insects (variety)

Last edited:
I don't know if a gluten-free feed would help any with an egg allergy, as the same proteins you're allergic to would be present in the egg whether the feed has gluten or not. I definitely think you should talk to your doctor before eating any egg.

Most chicken feeds are corn or wheat based, and these ingredients can change from batch-to-batch. Even if you could find a gluten free labeled feed, animal feeds are not very regulated, and an individual batch may come into contact with or contain a grain that has gluten. You could mix your own, but it is difficult to get the correct nutrition, which is very important. There are a lot of important vitamins and minerals that you may forget about.

So far all the feeds I have seen are either soy and corn free or just soy free. They all still have wheat. But I will be watching this thread to see what others say.

I suppose you could mix your own....

I have an egg allergy and I wanted to try gluten free feed. Is it possible to mix a complete layer ration? I also have a gluten allergy and noticed the chicken feed has wheat in it.

On edit >>>>

I found some fodder but it is not complete

http://www.rainbowranchfarms.com/#!product/prd2/2500416061/all-bird-&-poultry-food-(gluten--free)
Are you able to eat quail eggs? I have never had one, but people claim that some people with allergies to eggs are still able to eat them.

If you are allergic to chicken eggs, duck eggs might be fine. Quail eggs, cute as they are, are TINY! Ask your allergist before trying any eggs, for sure. What the hen eats won't make the egg proteins less of a problem for you, if chicken eggs are off your menu. Mary

I'd like to say that depending on how the allergy was diagnosed, it may help to have gluten free feed. Proteins from what the chickens eat can be found, fairly unchanged, in the eggs. So if the OP is severely allergic to wheat/gluten, they may think/say they have an egg allergy when what they really are experiencing is a reaction to the gluten in the eggs, not to the egg protein. There are gluten free recipes around for feed if you search!

Back
Top Bottom