Gluten-free Feed UK?

jetchaos

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2023
Hello all,

Aware, through my many searches, that this is a topic of debate - but I'm looking for a gluten-free feed for my rescue hens when they arrive. Both myself and my wife are Coeliac, my wife much more sensitive to exposure than I am, and neither of us want to bring any gluten into our lives! We even had to change our dog food, as this was causing a reaction, despite hand-washing and precautions being taken. This is NOT to do with eating the eggs - I know that there is no gluten in eggs! It is more to do with the feeding of the hens in the first place.
As such, I want to find a gluten-free feed for the hens. I have had a look and am aware that they do exist, however they all seem to be non-UK. Does anyone know of any UK based feeds that are gluten-free?
Alternatively, I would be interested in making our own feed, but I want what is best for the hens and I've not yet seen a DIY recipe that everyone reaches a consensus on being suitable for hens and having enough of each vitamin/mineral etc. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! I don't want to end up causing deficiencies.
The hens will have a run to forage in as well as a movable run that they will be moved to when we are in the house and can keep an eye on them, so they should always have access to grass for at least some of the day, as well as access to bugs etc that they can catch. We also plan to grow our own fruit/veg (whatever we can in such a windy place!) but as we are in the UK, cannot feed them table scraps.
A side-note - we also cannot have oats in the house (annoyingly, I can eat oats with no problem, but my wife cannot and reacts badly).

Thanks in advance for any help you lovely folk can give!

Hello all,

Aware, through my many searches, that this is a topic of debate - but I'm looking for a gluten-free feed for my rescue hens when they arrive. Both myself and my wife are Coeliac, my wife much more sensitive to exposure than I am, and neither of us want to bring any gluten into our lives! We even had to change our dog food, as this was causing a reaction, despite hand-washing and precautions being taken. This is NOT to do with eating the eggs - I know that there is no gluten in eggs! It is more to do with the feeding of the hens in the first place.
As such, I want to find a gluten-free feed for the hens. I have had a look and am aware that they do exist, however they all seem to be non-UK. Does anyone know of any UK based feeds that are gluten-free?
Alternatively, I would be interested in making our own feed, but I want what is best for the hens and I've not yet seen a DIY recipe that everyone reaches a consensus on being suitable for hens and having enough of each vitamin/mineral etc. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! I don't want to end up causing deficiencies.
The hens will have a run to forage in as well as a movable run that they will be moved to when we are in the house and can keep an eye on them, so they should always have access to grass for at least some of the day, as well as access to bugs etc that they can catch. We also plan to grow our own fruit/veg (whatever we can in such a windy place!) but as we are in the UK, cannot feed them table scraps.
A side-note - we also cannot have oats in the house (annoyingly, I can eat oats with no problem, but my wife cannot and reacts badly).

Thanks in advance for any help you lovely folk can give!
If this is an issue then perhaps the best solution is to make your own feed.
Here is a recent article on just this topic. With a bit of research I don't see why one couldn't make a gluten free feed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

If this is an issue then perhaps the best solution is to make your own feed.
Here is a recent article on just this topic. With a bit of research I don't see why one couldn't make a gluten free feed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
Thanks for this! I think my concern arises from the fact that wheat is no longer an option, neither is barley, or oats - I can use corn, but I'm not sure that is a good direct replacement for the above grains? And honestly, I'm not overly sure what other grains are suitable in such large quantities, if wheat etc usually makes up 80% of a feed. Maybe I'm overthinking it! I think I need to make my own pick and mix menu. Something that tells me the proportions and options of what I can use😂

Back
Top Bottom