GMF Organic Soy-Free Trial (Layer Feed)

I'm interested in trying your feed. I have 12 hens, 5 roosters and 10 chicks right now. I have customers who want soy-free eggs but my feed dealersays that getting protein up is almost impossible without soy. How will you up the protein? Pls let me know what develops.

I would LOVE to participate. I am raising chickens specifically in order to get soy-free eggs (we are a soy-free family). I have 5 pullets.

Sounds good! I have to correct myself, though. I have 6 chickens that are laying and 1 year old, and 3 that will be laying in a month or so that are 5 months old. I can easily separate them if need be. Also, the feed I give them is home-made from whole grains, rice, and legumes bought out of the bulk bins at wholefoods. I also give them some kelp and free-choice oyster-shell. Thanks again,

Brandon

Would love to try too! We have 15 chicks (4 weeks old right now). They've been on organic chick starter since we got them. I live in NJ.

Thanks!
Sheri

Hi Eric,

Been using Green Mountain starter mash in the beginning and now grower pellets for the 11 weeks of our six chickens life. They love it, and are doing very well on it. I've tasted it myself for the heck of it and have to say it does not taste bad at all. In fact, its pretty tasty for a snack.

Our girls have a way to go before they start laying, but I am hoping this works out well and you have this available as a regular item in the future. With all the talk I have read about soy it makes me concerned to have it in our own foodstuffs, and having it in the girls feed is something I would want to eliminate, if possible. Lower egg production is not a major concern for us but healthy chickens are a big one.

Good luck on the trials and please let us know how it progresses.

I'm interested as well. But I am editing my post as I just realized I would be unable to participate since I will be unable to feed a layer food for a while. I have younger birds mixed with the layers so they are all getting a grower and oyster shells on the side.

Last edited:
I would be happy to help with this as well. I have a flock of 28 hens, of different breeds. I also have the time to make any obsevations through out the day as well as any daily paperwork

I'd love to participate if this is still open. I have 8 hens, all 6 weeks old, five different breeds (RIR, Sussex, Brahma, Buf Orp, & Auracana). Currently feeding them all Nature Grown Organic Chick Starter. If it matters, I'm a backyard setup and located in North Central Illinois.

Back
Top Bottom