GMF Organic Soy-Free Trial (Layer Feed)

So sorry to hear of your problems. The loss of your father is tragedy enough. My father passed 2 yrs ago and I still miss him everyday. One day at a time is the key and don't take on any extra burdens. We have waited this long for the feed, we can wait awhile longer!! Not a big thing.

Eric - very sorry for your loss.
Irene messed some things up around here but not nearly as bad as you guys up north. Who would have thought VT would have had it that hard? I wish you the best in juggling both feed businesses plus healing from your loss and the devastation of Irene. When you get the project done, I'd love to help out, too. We have 8 birds (1 barred rock x, one RI red x, 1 EE, and 5 leghorns) and we are in northeastern CT.

Hang in there! Sending good vibes your way ~

So sorry about your dad and everything else you are going through. I was excited to see this thread since I had heard about it and tried to find it a while back. So sorry to have found it under these conditions. When you pull things together I'm interested in trying the feed, but take your time and take care of YOU first.

Eric, so sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences and sympathies.

My wife just lost her dad on 8/19, and we know what you are going through.

Please take good care.

Sorry for your loss, Eric. Please take all the time you need, no rush at all. Irene hit us in CT pretty hard but sounds like you got it worse.

Last edited:
I would participate. I have read if u give black oil sunflower seeds with soy free layer it raises egg production levels? Anyone have any knowledge of this?

I would participate. I have read if u give black oil sunflower seeds with soy free layer it raises egg production levels? Anyone have any knowledge of this?
I make my own soy-free layer feed with whole grains, field peas, black oil sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and other ingredients. I also use fish meal and Diamond V yeast. My 9 hens (3 Cuckoo Marans and 6 Silver Gray Dorkings) laid right through a very cold New England winter in a plastic-covered hoop coop with no heater (but I did have a CFL bulb on a timer for 14 hours of light per day). I got 5-9 eggs each day. During the winter (no foraging) each ate .34#/day. During foraging season, they eat up to 1/4#/day/bird. I supplement with live meal worms and maggots.

I also have 4 Silver Gray Dorking cocks. Three have been put into breeding this spring. I cracked open the first eggs laid the day after the trios were put together and of the 4 eggs I got (I'm now down to 5 hens because a Goshawk got one a few weeks ago), 2 were fertile. I think the other two hens that laid just hadn't allowed mating yet--I noticed they kept running under the roost so the cock wasn't able to climb on.

So that's my experience with soy-free, plus sunflower seeds, plus fish meal, plus yeast. Excellent laying from dual purpose birds, good feed conversion efficiency, heartiness during a very cold winter, and good fertility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom