• I'm interested in the discussion of both soy and corn

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • I don't know yet, interested to see what others say

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Explain in a post below)

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's or so when FARM EROSION!!!! was one of the big environmental hot buttons.
Still is - but only because the EPA will get you otherwise. Even without their [adjective meaning "extremely stupid or foolish" which begins with the alternate name for a mule or donkey] interpretation of the Waters of the United States Rule, if measurable levels of pesticides or fertilizers are leaving your property and headed towards a waterway, they can make your life a living hell.

There’s a lot I disagree with in this thread, not sure where to start.

In my opinion, organic none gmo is not enough, here in the uk there is no distinction between genetically edited plants and animals vs organic.
Then there are mutations induced with colchicine which don’t fall within either category but interestingly coincide with a significant increase in food intolerance since the 1940s.

There seems to be widespread confusion over production per acre and required pesticide use in organic vs ‘conventional’ agriculture, those who believe gmo mono crops are a necessary aspect of global food security and pesticide/herbicide reduction would be wise to research yields, resilience to extreme events, and required inputs for an agroforestry polyculture system in which plants are capable of activating their own immune response as a result of complex interactions within a living soil, and the resulting difference in nutritional values when plants are allowed to fully express their potential in a way that isn’t possible with ‘conventional’ agriculture.

Up until very recently the biological component of soil was thought to be either unimportant or potentially problematic but things are progressing quickly and many of the opinions posted in this thread are already considered to be outdated by those who have dedicated their working lives to research in food security and sustainability. It’s both sad and strange that their achievements have not been more widely recognised or celebrated.

Last edited:
The thing is, there are not even any plausable routes/mechanisms by which a GMO crop could hurt you. The GMO debate is similar to the mRNA vaccine debate in that sense. At this point, people's view of GMO and mRNA have hardened and there is nothing that is going to change their mind. So..... why bother.
What are you expecting? For GMO to hit you in the back of the head and realize instantly? Same with MRNA. Cancer rates have been exploding and people had reactions within a week. What do I know?! I only see the VAERS. Don't even look at the death rate in the VAERS related to the covid shot.

A few things here:
GMO corn is sprayed WAY LESS with pesticides. Why would a farmer grow expensive gmo seeds, only to need to spray more? Makes NO sense. The most common traits are BT toxin. It is basically a bulking agent that doesn't break down in alkaline stomachs of bugs. Animals have acidic stomachs and easily digest it and actually it's healthy protein for humans.
GMO corn is sprayed with herbicides way safer and less often than non GMO corn that needs more different herbicides that don't kill corn but do kill weeds. Again way more herbicides needed.

Let's get into organic and how it destroys the environment and is bad for your health.
Organic crops use 50% more fossil fuels due to increased tillage to reduce weeds. Since they only produce 40 to 60% as much food per acre, your organic food uses almost triple the fossil fuels.

Then there is runoff. Doubled due to organic requiring double the acreage. So you have water pollution. Now factor in that we cleared 2x as much Forrest land to grow your organics. WOW, you are really really destroying the environment by going organic compared to Gmo.

organic crops are proven to produce less vitamins, protein ect since they are usually suffering from pests and poor nutrients. So are overall less healthy.
Oy vey....

Back
Top Bottom