GMO & soy free feed

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Athaid, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey,
    I started a thread on making your own feed because I don't want to use commercial feed, as it usually contains soy, or GMO. But after reading the replies I got, and reading a few different things online, I realised how complicated it was. So if anyone knows any GMO and soy free chicken feed which is available in the UK, or Ireland that would be a huge help. Thanks

2. Athaid

bump

3. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
  4. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Thank you for your question! Unfortunately, we do not distribute Purina feeds in the UK.

5. Athaid

Oh thanks but I actually resolved this already.

6. jacobhawaiifarm

jacobhawaiifarm Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Honolulu hawaii
    Could I ask why every feed is saying soy free? Is Soy bad for chickens? I been making my own feed from Soy (get it free from a nearby tofu factory) they seem fine and they seem to get bigger than just regular feed alone.

7. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Legumes are high protein, but need to be cooked or roasted prior to feeding. If you are using soybeans from tofu making, they have been boiled. You can substitute any bean or pea as protein source, just cook/roast first. I think it's about 15 minutes at 250°F to roast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Not every feed says this, in fact most commercial feeds still have soy, they just group it under something like 'plant based protein' on the label...

Although the reason many advertise this or that free is because it's the current trendy thing to do... Watch any dietary trend for a decade, their is always some ingredient being demonized because someone said it was bad... Coffee and eggs are perfect examples of this, depending on the study and year they can be life saving foods or the cause your demise...

9. Athaid

Eggs are bad for you, it's not a trend. Also I did resolve this a while ago. Thanks though.

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a matter of opinion, and varies with time and dietary trends as I stated...

IMO (and many others) eggs are not bad for you, as a single food they rival just about anything else providing almost every essential vitamin and mineral out bodies need, along with a slew of protein and amino acids we need...

A simple Google search will reveal that 20 years ago eggs (especially the yolks) were demonized by nutritionist as artery cloggers due to their cholesterol content and put on the baddies list but studies and data failed to back up cholesterol was all that bad and instead pointed to saturated and trans fats being the real problem artery clogger, so eggs are now back on the good to eat list as long as you are healthy and don't have a history of high cholesterol or heart disease... AKA a shift in dietary trends towards eggs...

Now you can deny this shifting of dietary trends, but anyone can verify it with a Google search or some study on the topic...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by