Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sore- most current seeds were patented at one time but a patent is only good for 17 years...Most seeds being used are the result of cross breeding, and the seeds from the hybrid plants do not reproduce true. The same is true of some cross breed geese. The bigest reason the GMO companys do not want farmers to use the seeds produced by plants produced from GMO seed is the simple fact that those seeds could contain all kinds of genes maybe two copies of the gmo introduced. they have contracts to prevent that not so much because of the few dollars that would be lost in sales but for safety reasons. can you imange the disaster it would be to the companies if people were harmed by the offspring of the saved seeds it would not be the farmer that broke his contract that took most of the blame it would be the company that produced the original seed.
Did you ever try growing sweet corn and popcorn together? they will cross polinate and some of the kernals will be half breeds, neither sweet nor popable. and if you save that seed for another year the problem could get worse.
Advanced chemistry, advanced bioenginering, heck even plain genetics are not simple subjects that you are going to learn in our dumbed down high schools. The college that produces film makers and authors do not usually require any training in the hard sciences for them.
without any real knowledge it is easy to beleive just about anything that is told to you by one that sounds like they know what they are talking about.
yes I like heirloom seeds that were saved from the best available fruits. they do great where they were saved but if saved in the north they could do poorly in the south. another reason to stay local, get the best for your location.
Last but not least I wish people would make up their minds about the FDA if they are so stupid why quote them when they agree with your position? I am not claiming they are the best science source the really smart ones go where the pay is better. I most cases they don't favor the side of the "evil" corporations. but let them take a stand against a small operation that is using a unsafe method and listen to the health nuts scream.

Last edited:
While on the campaign trail in 2007, Barack Obama promised to label GMO foods if elected. Now's the time! Today, an estimated 80% of processed foods contain GMOs, and under the Obama administration, more GMO foods have been approved than ever before. Tell President Obama you agree that the U.S. needs GMO labeling "because Americans should know what they're buying". For the past 20 years, Americans have been denied the right to know what's in their food.
More:
Obama Promised to Label GMOs back in 2007
healthimpactnews.com
While on the campaign trail in 2007, Barack Obama promised to label GMO foods if elected. Now's the time!

Quote:
For the record - there are some of us who do think what we feed our animals matters, yet are not worked up over GMOs.

There is a difference between being anti-GMO, being organic, being prudent with food supplements, and being exclusively self-sustaining with animal feed. Not all of these are the same thing.

Lumping together GMOS, BSE, arsenic in feed, and the (illegal) protein additives that came from China is, imo, sloppy science.

I purchase my non GMO feed from Hyland's Feed in Millersburg Ohiol I actually found (by accident) the mill that mills the grain, bags and labels the product for them.
This business buys local but there is GMO crops EVERYWHERE in amish country. They post the signs for the company of the GMO product they grow and you see these signs everwhere:(
Cross pollination is a HUGE problem with GMO plants..I wonder if all this feed that I have been purchasing is really a cross pollinated mix.
It is absolutely disgusting that big AG has the government in their pocket...all for the money.
Can't trust the FDA or big Ag.
So sad.

Quote:
For the record - there are some of us who do think what we feed our animals matters, yet are not worked up over GMOs.

There is a difference between being anti-GMO, being organic, being prudent with food supplements, and being exclusively self-sustaining with animal feed. Not all of these are the same thing.

Lumping together GMOS, BSE, arsenic in feed, and the (illegal) protein additives that came from China is, imo, sloppy science.

You might think it's "sloppy science", but it all shows a pattern between these corporations, our government, the all-mighty dollar they worship, and how little respect they show the general masses. To think otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand.

I'm all for GMO's. The current techniques are simply improvements to what humans have been doing to food crops for thousands of years. If you don't want GMO's, I suggest you come up with a way to reduce human population. There is no way the food production of the 60's would support the current world population. Without continued increases, we will be seeing worldwide famine within our livetimes.

You might think it's "sloppy science", but it all shows a pattern between these corporations, our government, the all-mighty dollar they worship, and how little respect they show the general masses. To think otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand.

Wow. That's...wow.

No, I'm not sticking my head in the sand, nor am I running about claiming the sky is falling, which is not a far cry from assuming a government-corporation driven conspiracy...based on...disrespecting the masses?

The lengths gone to on this thread to 'demonstrate' the evils of GMOs, etc, etc, can't even really be called sloppy science - that's an insult to actual science, logic, and and to humanity's history of experimentation that ended up with the modern chicken, corn plant, and irrigation.

This anti-GMO concern is most like, imo, the old fortune telling techniques of killing a chicken and looking into its entrails for clues. And it makes as much sense.​

Quote:
Wow. That's...wow.

No, I'm not sticking my head in the sand, nor am I running about claiming the sky is falling, which is not a far cry from assuming a government-corporation driven conspiracy...based on...disrespecting the masses?

The lengths gone to on this thread to 'demonstrate' the evils of GMOs, etc, etc, can't even really be called sloppy science - that's an insult to actual science, logic, and and to humanity's history of experimentation that ended up with the modern chicken, corn plant, and irrigation.

This anti-GMO concern is most like, imo, the old fortune telling techniques of killing a chicken and looking into its entrails for clues. And it makes as much sense.

Everybody has their theories but I see no point in putting down people for their anti-GMO stance.
Science and technology are not without its flaws.
Farmers use to spray dangerous insecticides on their crops and this was a good thing right?
Yeah, until it started having an adverse effect on wildlife and the environment.
The list of huge mistakes goes on and on.
Mankind has done a lot of bad things in the name of science & technology.
Is technology always a bad thing...of course not, but sometimes it is.
Time will tell on GMO.
I for one choose to not worship science and technology.

Quote:
Wow. That's...wow.

This anti-GMO concern is most like, imo, the old fortune telling techniques of killing a chicken and looking into its entrails for clues. And it makes as much sense.

Everybody has their theories but I see no point in putting down people for their anti-GMO stance.
Farmers use to spray dangerous insecticides on their crops and this was a good thing right?
Yeah, until it started having an adverse effect on wildlife and the environment.
Mankind has done a lot of bad things in the name of science & technology.
Is technology always a bad thing...of course not, but sometimes it is.
Time will tell on GMO.
I for one choose to not worship science and technology.

You said it alot better than I could have. Thank you.

In terms of impacts on the environment...agriculture itself is disruptive. The more land that is involved, the more disruptive it is. And it doesn't have to be sprays - plowing and grazing are also huge problems, as is cutting down trees for firewood. GMOs help produce more food on less land, making for LESS environmental disruption.

If all people said was "I don't understand GMOs and I think the technology is moving too fast" then I would agree. Different people take up new changes at different rates, and sometimes changes turn out to be bad ideas. Caution and personal discretion are virtues.

But, would you refuse to drive a modern fuel efficent car, just because the dinosaurs made in the 50's were gas-guzzling & unsafe by modern standards?

To my read, most of the anti-GMO statements made here have been anti-science and based on emotion instead of facts. It's not 'wait and see' it's "GMOS ARE FROM THE DEVIL OMG".

This is different from "not worshiping science". This is worshiping at a different altar, and just because it's not technology doesn't make it smart, right, or logical. People hate on Monsanto for the pleasure of having something to hate, not because Monsanto has done a single thing to them.

This, combined with a failure to appreciate just how much technology - including GMOs - has increased farm yields, makes the general anti-GMO - as opposed to the "wait-and-see" - statements seem like people who would have rejected proof that the world was round and went around the sun.

Looking at the world, and how much difference technology has made in improving peoples lives, I have no problem continuing to investigate new technologies, including GMOs. These have been in use for decades now, and still no measurable side effects, except increased food for the world. (Okay, and lots of corn for ethanol, but that's a whole 'nother bag of worms.)

If people want to advocate "wait and see" - then they should say "wait and see" not "GMOs are poisoning us and our animals." And they certainly shouldn't lump BSE, traditional arsenic in feed, illegal Chinese feed additives, and federally approved & tested GMOs in the same basket, and claim it all came from the same source.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom