Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I do want to say i am for the farmer, I know they work long hours and get paid very little, thats why i like the local movement thats started in our country. we live on mountain ground, very littel soil lots of rock, so we don't get to grow alot. but i like to be able to go to the community gargen on sat. mornings [farmers market or even buy from my grocery store now more local produce and meat. that way I can chose organic over commercial. still more expensive but worth it if you can get it. we grow our own tomatoes and peppers anything we can grow in containers, wish we could join a csa but too expensive for us. as far as feed for our animals Purina is the only feed our feed store carries other than the 7 way scratch so we have to drive a fair distance to buy and most of the time it's still Purina under a different name.

Last edited:
Sore Thumb Suburbanite well said. I too have a problem with a patent on a crop. I hope they don't get into the milk area. Anyway, I too am for the farmer because they do work so hard and get little for it. I buy as much local as possible along with growing my own. I do share with my neighbors as well. Technology can be a good thing but sometimes it can turn on you. It's always good to ask question about something you are interested in or concerned about. Seems like people are starting to wake up a bit. Next I will probably grow food for my birds.

Quote:
I like when they tell us, but it bothers me really bad that they don't have to. We should be able to decide for ourselves if we want to eat it or not. or feed it to our livestock too.

Quote:
I like when they tell us, but it bothers me really bad that they don't have to. We should be able to decide for ourselves if we want to eat it or not. or feed it to our livestock too.

I whole-heartedly agree!

I have done a lot of research on this subject and I agree/disagree with a lot that has been bought up here and it tooks like other posters corrected some of the wrong information so I did not post to debate anything and would rather stay out of it.

I have a small farm that I grow vegetables for my local farmers market and also have a lot of farm animals. All of the feed products at Tractor Supply and probably 99% of the feed stores sell products that have corn and soy. We have one store that I have found in Florida that is in Gainesville that sells organic feed. I am not postive but I still think that is has GMO and soy in it. It is also REALLY expensive. I had a customer that wanted organic non soy chicken eggs. When I told her that they would cost like $10 a dozen she freaked. The best advice I can give is to grow your own feed. Personally I do not have the additional time nor acreage to do this. My chickens have access to fresh grass at all times and plenty of extra vegetables that I grow. I do grow some millet for them also. The feed is just a supplement that I get from a local feed store that mixes their own grains.

If your not interested in growing your own. Just try to do your best on giving them access to fresh grass and vegetable scraps. I think the movement for non gmo and soy in feed products will happen eventually but until available it's really a give and take.

Also don't forget just because it is labeled organic doesn't mean that it hasn't been sprayed with a "approved" pesticide/fungicide. The terms "organic", "all natural", and "free range" are loosely thrown around a lot.

For those who don't think what you actually FEED your animals that end up on your table really matters?

Here's a story on WebMD (considered a "reliable" source for many naysayers) from June 8, 2011 regarding arsenic being added to chicken feed by Pfizer (aka Big pHARMa)
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...08/fda-arsenic-drug-in-chicken-feed-suspended

Here's one from Consumer Reports regarding the same issue from June 10, 2011
http://news.consumerreports.org/hea...ken-drug-roxarsone-due-to-arsenic-threat.html

Think about Mad Cows Disease and how that came about...? http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/02/02/earlyshow/saturday/main269150.shtml

Also think about all the recalls from China due to contamination of one sort or another. Specifically, for arguments sake - in this particular thread - pet foods (our beloved cat died because of this contamination and this is what really woke me up! First the pet food... then...?), farm animal feed, farm-raised fish feed... Many animals were slaughtered and then incinerated to keep them out of our food chain (poultry back East, pigs & cows in the West) because of this http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/recallswithdrawals/ucm129575.htm

And who does all those [alleged] studies on GMO's to ensure they're safe? NOT the FDA!!!! They leave it up to the companies - like Monsanto - who make those products to do their own "studies" and submit them as "evidence" to their [alleged] safety!! Isn't that much like letting the fox into the hen house and trusting him overnight with your flock????

What you feed your animals DOES make a difference! And while organically labeled food may not be "100% organic" (as some of you pointed out), it sure as heck is a lot better than pesticide laden options that most are flooding our markets with right now. We live in a very chemical world as it is. Look around you... how many do YOU know with health issues? (i.e. cancer, asthma, autoimmune disorders, food allergies, etc) Why add any more to it than is absolutely necessary?

No, I'm NOT a tree hugger. No, I don't live 100% organically, but I do my best and am working towards improving every day, week, month, year. I read labels. I avoid the more obvious and research what I don't know. No, my research doesn't come from random blogs. It usually starts with personal experiences and a personal need and the information following comes from the FDA, the CDC, and places such as PubMed (which many, many doctors use for their own research) or even reading package inserts regarding their very own warnings of adverse events/reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom