Gnarly Toes and Ugly Feet

Can anyone tell me what causes this, or do you think it is normal? This is a yearling cock.

Oh my, those are some ugly feet for a yearling. I do not think that is normal, and would have to say that lack of attention at hatch coupled with poor housing and a lack of attention as it was growing would be my guess. Are those "bumbles" on the bottom of his toes, they may need to be removed if they are, or I suppose he could just have the genetics for ugly feet? None of my yearlings have feet that ugly, but my old IB hen has feet that make his look pretty.

Last edited:
Oh my, those are some ugly feet for a yearling. I do not think that is normal, and would have to say that lack of attention at hatch coupled with poor housing and a lack of attention as it was growing would be my guess. Are those "bumbles" on the bottom of his toes, they may need to be removed if they are, or I suppose he could just have the genetics for ugly feet? None of my yearlings have feet that ugly, but my old IB hen has feet that make his look pretty.

I don't think they are bumbles as it appears to be stains and not open sores.

Is he limping?

-Kathy

Not limping that we can tell. This is a bird that had some stress issues and succumbed to coccidiosis. In the brooder, they were kept in during isolation and deworming he quit roosting and spent all his time on the floor. Then came the rains and the flooring got mucky, that is the 'nice' term. So he was standing in that for a few days as he got sicker and lost weight. The other birds are fine and are now in gen pop.

My concern is whether he always had ugly feet or if that time standing in the muck affected his feet or if the stress and illness caused it. He is now feeling well, eating well and enjoying his cozy warm private room.

Not limping that we can tell. This is a bird that had some stress issues and succumbed to coccidiosis. In the brooder, they were kept in during isolation and deworming he quit roosting and spent all his time on the floor. Then came the rains and the flooring got mucky, that is the 'nice' term. So he was standing in that for a few days as he got sicker and lost weight. The other birds are fine and are now in gen pop.

My concern is whether he always had ugly feet or if that time standing in the muck affected his feet or if the stress and illness caused it. He is now feeling well, eating well and enjoying his cozy warm private room.

I doubt that standing in muck for a few days could cause that, any idea how he was housed before he came to you? Not everyone has the time to attend to each individual bird so I think sometimes a lot can go unnoticed and therefore untreated.

Back
Top Bottom