Gnats and vanilla mixture

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DragonflyBayou, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DragonflyBayou

DragonflyBayou Chirping

Mar 29, 2018
    Brusly, LA
    My Coop
    So I’ve seen some posts on local FB pages about losing multiple chickens to gnats? Some people mention treating coop/run with vanilla and water mixture and spraying?
    I’m very new to this, in south Louisiana so I want to be prepared and be vigilant and start treating the coop and run now,
    I have chicks almost 4 weeks going outside next Monday.
    Thanks guys.

2. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    You should definitely start treating the coop. My polish pullet died after gnats sucked her dry, and went up her nostrils. Horrid creatures! I would spray the vanilla mixture on the chicks too. Maybe try lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, cinnamon, or geranium essentil oils, which also deter bugs like gnats.

DragonflyBayou likes this.
  3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I imagine it would work on chickens, I use it on my dogs. I just put vanilla extract on the back of the ears. They fly around but do not land.

4. Very interesting information Does vanilla repel flies as well?

5. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    WOW, the price of vanilla is sky high here, like $25 for a 4 oz bottle. It looks like there is a shortage of vanilla beans to make the real thing. So would vanillin work the same? It is dirt cheap when compared to the real deal. I know it does not taste the same, but would it work as a repellent here? Also what would the mix be, or is used straight up?
    Info on the two;
    http://www.quirkyscience.com/vanilla-and-vanillin/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: