1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gnats in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KenleighFarms, Sep 14, 2013.

1. KenleighFarms

KenleighFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Has anyone ever had this? I know I haven't. When I went to fill up the water tray this evening, I noticed about 8 little dead bodies in the water tray. I just went back to check on the temperature (day 5 here) and there is one flying around in the incubator. One point is these were eggs that I purchased from a local breeder but there are a few of my own chicken eggs in there. Will they harm the eggs? NO eggs have cracks or didn't when I set them and there is no smell coming from the incubator either. Advice please =).

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen tiny little black flying insects in my incubator once, though they probably won't hurt the eggs.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. KenleighFarms

KenleighFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    whew thanks! Just sort of weird seeing them in there since I don't have them any where else in my home. I wonder if one of the eggs had a larvae on it and then it hatched and had babies? When I candle I will see if I can kill the one/s that are flying around because I don't want them there when the babies hatch.

4. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    How did this turn out for you? I see a couple gnats in mine and am unsure about setting the eggs. (An egg exploded in my last batch and Drew gnats but I cleaned the bator thoroughly so I don't know why they're back again without eggs!)

5. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    How did this turn out for you? I see a couple gnats in mine and am unsure about setting the eggs. (An egg exploded in my last batch and Drew gnats but I cleaned the bator thoroughly so I don't know why they're back again without eggs!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by