Go on, admit it... Do you talk to your chickens?

I talk to my chickens and they talk back as well, some more than others. My father- in- law said to my husband in amazement one day, " I have never seen ANYONE be able to pick up and handle CHICKENS!" Guess all that communication has made for a good relationship!

I talk to my chickens just as I do with all of my family pets. I am sure they think I am from another planet but know that I am the one who doles out the treats, food, water, etc. Besides my 8 pullets, just now beginning to lay, I have 6 more babies in the brooder along with 4 guinea keets. They are 8 weeks old and they go outside daily in their little run for fresh air and bugs, weeds, grass, etc. They have always responded to my voice especially when I try and catch them to put them back in the brooder in the evenings. Last night though, was especially neat as even the guineas listened intently and gathered in the corner of the run for me to pick them up and carry them back to the house in their brooder box. It may have been the chill in the early evening air that had them running for transport but I like to think that I have talked to them enough that they know what's what when I speak. Even the older pullets respond and chat with me about their day. My BR is the first one to me when I open the coop door. If they are in their run area and I speak from a distance, they all gather at the gate or the corner closest to where I am located in the yard. It is neat how they do that.

Can you tell that I am new to the chicken world and think everything they do is neat and essay worthy??
celebrate.gif

Oh yeah, don't we all??
wink.png
If I don't talk to mine when I go out, they will most definately start the conversation...lol....and then start pecking on my feet (I have orange Sloggers & they are fascinated by them). They can be out of sight, ranging away and all I have to do is call "Here chicka, chicka, chicka....." and there they come, running on those little chicken legs of theirs, just a clucking......gotta love 'em!

I talk to my chickens all the time! Every time I go and see them! And of course they talk back!
It really does sound like they are talking back too. I actually do believe that they are talking to me....why else would they make the perfect little clucks in response?

I must admit I do .
When I go into their run in the morning to collect the eggs , I always say " hello ladies" ten give them their grapes . And tell them their clever girls for giving me an egg,
Love my 2 ladies x:(

Deb, I totally agree with you on that one! I have one called Endora and she knows her name!! The other 3, well, chicka chicka works for them...lol...

I have to talk to mine. If I don't they won't get out of my way so I can walk up the path to the house. "Get out of the way you darn birds" One likes to sit on my foot, which is ok when I am standing still but a little ackward when I try to walk somewhere.

I have great conversations with my two girls who have a lovely variety of phrases ranging from 'hey, everyone, my mate is laying an egg, and I want the world to know' to the low, contented mutter, mutter, mutters as they munch on their morning delivery of greens and mash, or later in the day, their watta, watta, whatta, what's as they trot out of the run for free range time and explore the nooks and crannies of our garden. Have only had my girls for 9 months but wonder how I used to get by without their company - a confession I could only make :)amongst other chicken lovers! :)

Back
Top Bottom