Go Simple and keep it simple/ Less is better / Think about cleaning it

Brokenegg

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
We talk to alot of people who say, I wish I would have thought about cleaning my coop before I built it.... Before you start building that coop remember, Every time you add a shelf, a door, a crack or a seam you add a spot for poop to build up, stick to and hide. The best coop is the simplist to clean and Maintain We raise alot of chickens and build alot of coop's, The chickens don't care about what your coop looks like as long as it is safe, large enough, but not to large, Keep it cozy, and it is reasonable clean. The coop should be built with one thought, How easy it it to clean and Maintain?? When you see cool looking coops that have all the nooks and cranny's, and exterior access doors for protruding nest box's all add to the time it takes to clean and more niche's for poop, bugs and bad things to hide. Keep it Simple, The " coop part" should be as simple as possible, chickens don't care and the less time it takes you the clean it, The longer you will keep your chickens. Just make the interior an open box, A coop that hold Less than 12 chickens does not need more than 1 or 2 nest boxs. If you build and open shelf that is easy to clean and up off the floor, your hens will do just fine.In a perfect world , your birds will all lay in the nest boxs where you can lift a small door and reach in and get them, But, They Won't, Some will, some will lay on the floor and others will let it drop whereever they are at when nature calls. All that easy access also alows to much air flow thru your coop come winter creating cold spots in the coop because in time, all those doors, just won't close so good anymore and creatures of the nite will find them, Less is better.
The coops we build and sell are not as fancy as some but in the long term you will understand more and love them to. The best coop takes an hour or less a month to clean and a hour or two a year to give a fresh coat of paint. If these things take to long, your birds become to hard to maintain and become victims of " to much work". Done right, Keeping chickens and getting fresh eggs is no big deal. KEEP IT SIMPLE.
If you Look at How we Build our coop's, You will see how simple we try to keep it We want you to Love your chickens enough to keep them apart of your family for Life, and no hassel to have.
You are welcome to stop by and Get pictures and take measurement of our coop's if you wish to build one for your self. Or if you can't make it here and can't get enough info from the picture's, Just send us an email and we'll send you more detail.
Good Luck and God Bless,
Joni @ www.destinyfarmgardens.com

I'd love to see some pictures posted in this thread so we can all benefit from it. Thanks!
smile.png

Hi there.

First time poster, but long time lurker here... I came across this thread and I just happen to have gotten a coop from these folks and have some pictures that I can share since someone asked... (no - they aren't paying me)
wink.png

This is right after we got everything painted and installed and the chickens moved in. When we got them out there we realized they were getting way too much direct sun, so we have since added a sun shade on the whole top, the kind that is woven so water can get through. Otherwise, this is what our coop looks like now:

28581_4897_1121165803728_1664565304_309917_1912151_n.jpg

28581_4897_1121166043734_1664565304_309923_6302929_n.jpg

28581_4897_1121165243714_1664565304_309903_4018154_n.jpg

This coop and run is a bit over 5 ft by 15 ft. The roost is at window height so they can look out, which they like. We put on the 1/ 2 inch hardware cloth ourselves, and it is buried 12 inches down. We have 1 rooster and 6 hens. We let them out to range in the backyard for a couple of hours after work each day. So far everything is working out really well for us.

Last edited:
I appreciate keeping it easy to maintain and clean, very important! But I have to disagree on the outside access nest box. I built one into my old coop and loved it so much that I took it off the old one and built it into my new coop. It is super easy to check for eggs, and also to change out the straw when necessary. My stepson can check for eggs 10 times a day if he wishes, and not have to fend off the hens and risk them getting out of the coop. It is completely closed off, secure with it's own latch, and I think it looks cute!

Recently heard a local coop-building "expert" tell a group that the best thing you can do for easy cleaning when building a coop is to have it be large/tall enough for a human-size door. As she pointed out, it's much harder to clean when you're bent over or on your hands and knees.

I think that's more important than "simplicity". Also, maybe, just limiting the number of chickens in your coop so it's not over-run.

I thought that was a great bit of info. Whether it reads like an ad or not. It's nice to hear, especially when you see so many incredible, yet expensive, coops. Not everyone can afford to build a $500+ chicken coop.

Last edited:
Nice coops and very nice work...but my babies are gonna have to live with what I can afford to give them...and that is FREE RECYCLED coops that I make...from old lumbar I pick up...they love it and Im ok with it, so I gues if it works for us...fantastic...

but you all that have some awesome coops doesnt mean I dont envy you...
tongue.png
you all do some awesome and fantastic jobs and ideas!!!

my mini coop for my porc. d'uccles
36033_dsc_0794.jpg

my main coop
36033_dsc_0752.jpg

36033_perches.jpg

It may not be the best...but its home.

Hi Scrummy Cat. We built you a box and you made it a home, Looks great and it's yours...Tell the hubby we say hi.
I had to post this for the people who fight with them selfs about what they need to have for a coop. Chickens will adapt to whatever you give them to live in. Whatever you can throw together will be home. The Coop a couple replys back with the dog kennel run is simply perfect because they made it. and I bet her chickens love their home. We have seen coop's made from about everything, Mike and I are going to start getting pictures of them and do a page on the farms website [ Some are So cool ] to show new commers, All that they need to have chickens. As long as they can get out of the wind, Rain,snow and critters can't get them at nite, It's a coop. We are the ones who need to have the fanciest coop. Build what you can.
We just had to post this to let the people out there that want to get some chickens and get confused with how much coop they need. Just find some wood and Nails and get ta build'in. Whatever you build will probably Look funky, weird and different but it will be yours and your chickens will love it. Just Do It!!!!
If you need help or support in your project or just need to run something by someone who has raised thousands of chickens over the years and built hundreds of coop's of all shapes, we are here to help. There is something about having a few chickens running around that makes a home alittle more Homey. Like a rockwell painting. O, and they make you breakfest.
God Bless us All, Joni @ Destiny Farm
PS 2txmedics, We think your coop looks great. We hope it was a family project.

Very nice looking coops!
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I really have to get my BYC page up...Mine is a scrap salvage job, but I think it turned out ok.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom