Goat Ate LED Lights

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i posted over on backyardherds but no response yet.

Our Nigerian Dwarf Whether ripped off a big string of LED solar lights off a chicken coop and gulped them down before i could grab them out of his mouth.

Is this going to be a big problem? Do i need to get him into a vet or just wait for them to pass . . . and then splice the string back together?

Good grief. A goat as a nightlight. That's a new one on me.
th.gif

Uhm, I have no really helpful answer, call a vet. Worse comes to worse, I'd try a poo-load of mineral oil, mixed with PLAIN, original Metamucil. As my vet told me about mixing it, you want a wet sticky blob of stuff. It will grab the stuff better that way.

BTW, I think I'd skip splicing the lights. But to each his own......
lau.gif

I'd call a vet asap... those lights can get all twisted in his intestines/stomach....

Dang, That's true. I hadn't really thought about it being very long. If it gets wound up in there it could be very bad.

Red? Good call!

Just got back from vet. i am SO tired! i usually go to bed at 9pm. Anyhow, they x-rayed and found the lights were chewed up and some had moved from the rumen into the stomach. He said it looked like they should all pass, but encouraged us to give him some mineral oil and metamucil, so Ranchhand you were right on. i guess those are things we need to keep in our goat first aid kit. Thanks so much for everyone's input. i guess we need to do a better job goat-proofing our yard.

Nighty night!

Back
Top Bottom