Goat bleeding please help

Daniel20

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
Hello I’m new to goats. my 2 year old doe is bleeding :( i don’t really know what happened. She has been mating with a buck for 3 days could it be that? I also don’t know if she got pregnant these past 3 days because today her milk production was lower than normal. And her stomach was a bit tight.
C1492204-82A4-4143-A43D-04947E3DD75C.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about the bleeding. It may just be irritation from the buck. Cows often pass a bit of blood just after they go out of heat. I haven't seen it in goats but there is no reason it can't happen. Whether or not she just conceived will have no effect on her milk production or anything else. Goats don't show much in the way of signs of pregnancy before they are about three months along. They do often have a slight drop in milk production when they are in heat.

You said her stomach was a bit tight. Is she showing any other symptoms? Has she been vaccinated with CD/T? That is for tetanus and clostridium perfingens (enterotoxemia). If she hasn't been, do so ASAP. Entero strikes without warning and it can kill very quickly.

I have sheep. The bleeding is normal after heat and breeding, but the stomach definitely shouldn’t be tight yet. The drop in production is normal while their in heat, she is probably pregnant so I wouldn’t milk much longer

I wouldn't worry about the bleeding. It may just be irritation from the buck. Cows often pass a bit of blood just after they go out of heat. I haven't seen it in goats but there is no reason it can't happen. Whether or not she just conceived will have no effect on her milk production or anything else. Goats don't show much in the way of signs of pregnancy before they are about three months along. They do often have a slight drop in milk production when they are in heat.
Okay thank you so much! It really means a lot

You said her stomach was a bit tight. Is she showing any other symptoms? Has she been vaccinated with CD/T? That is for tetanus and clostridium perfingens (enterotoxemia). If she hasn't been, do so ASAP. Entero strikes without warning and it can kill very quickly.
What other symptoms should I be looking for?

The person I bought her from said she was vaccinated with cdt on October last year. Do they need that vaccine every year?

I have sheep. The bleeding is normal after heat and breeding, but the stomach definitely shouldn’t be tight yet. The drop in production is normal while their in heat, she is probably pregnant so I wouldn’t milk much longer
Dairy goats (and cows) are milked until two months before they freshen.

Back
Top Bottom