Goat bloat or constipation?

EDauria

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
How do I tell the difference between bloat and constipation? I have a 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf doe that was lethargic and miserable looking this morning at feeding time. She wouldn't eat or drink anything. I have no idea what she could have gotten into, we let them wander the yard a bit around their pens when we clean it out in the morning, but she has been doing that for over a month now so I don't know what "new" thing she could have found.

I first suspected bloat, but she really doesn't seem that bloated, maybe a bit, but I can't really say it is more on the left side. She isn't pointing, either, she is more curling up and laying down. No teeth grinding, no indication of pain when I rub her belly. We did get a bit of mineral oil into her.

She had a BM finally just a bit ago and it was all smashed together, almost no balls. That is not something I have ever seen with bloat, so is this more likely constipation?

I have called the vet, our vet is dreadful, I haven't even gotten a return call yet, we honestly don't usually bother calling anymore. The vet in the next town won't come out this far.

Do you offer baking soda free choice? That can help prevent digestive upsets. Do you feed grains? Is she vaccinated for overeaters disease?

Lots of vets don't know goats. You may need to search one out for emergencies.

We do baking soda and vaccines, but we are not feeding grain right now. Only one vet in our area does livestock and she is next to useless.

Smashed together poop pellets generally happens when they get a higher protein feed, or some greens can do it if they are used to them. I would just watch and see.

@cassie may have a better idea than me.

How do I tell the difference between bloat and constipation? I have a 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf doe that was lethargic and miserable looking this morning at feeding time. She wouldn't eat or drink anything. I have no idea what she could have gotten into, we let them wander the yard a bit around their pens when we clean it out in the morning, but she has been doing that for over a month now so I don't know what "new" thing she could have found.

I first suspected bloat, but she really doesn't seem that bloated, maybe a bit, but I can't really say it is more on the left side. She isn't pointing, either, she is more curling up and laying down. No teeth grinding, no indication of pain when I rub her belly. We did get a bit of mineral oil into her.

She had a BM finally just a bit ago and it was all smashed together, almost no balls. That is not something I have ever seen with bloat, so is this more likely constipation?

I have called the vet, our vet is dreadful, I haven't even gotten a return call yet, we honestly don't usually bother calling anymore. The vet in the next town won't come out this far.
Has this goat been vaccinated with CD/T to prevent entertoxemia?

With entero, the goat is usually lethargic and won't eat, but they do usually stretch and get up and lie down. The abdomen will feel tense or gassy. The clumpy stool doesn't mean much.

Back
Top Bottom