Goat bloating

Are you sure they are bloated? They may have gained weight. Also some breeds are just naturally larger around the abdomen. My Nigerian Dwarfs are also more round in spring/summer versus fall/winter. Fresh green grass and weeds are high in sugar and protein.

My goat vet told me free choice baking soda does nothing for them and recommended I remove it. Gas X or tums is a good choice if they are very bloated and need immediate relief.

Long term you want to keep the good bacteria in their rumen healthy. They need Vit B. Good options for that are a Vit B complex or nutritional yeast. My does really like nutritional yeast. I also had a friend who had a doe that was always bloated. She started giving the doe leafy greens every day and it really helped.

Are you sure they are bloated? They may have gained weight. Also some breeds are just naturally larger around the abdomen. My Nigerian Dwarfs are also more round in spring/summer versus fall/winter. Fresh green grass and weeds are high in sugar and protein.

My goat vet told me free choice baking soda does nothing for them and recommended I remove it. Gas X or tums is a good choice if they are very bloated and need immediate relief.

Long term you want to keep the good bacteria in their rumen healthy. They need Vit B. Good options for that are a Vit B complex or nutritional yeast. My does really like nutritional yeast. I also had a friend who had a doe that was always bloated. She started giving the doe leafy greens every day and it really helped.
Just a comment. Although I never offered baking soda to my goats, I think it might be helpful if the goats are being fed a lot of grain. The digestion of grain produces acid and if there is too much acid the baking soda will take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom