goat boobie question.

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
ok..we have the cute little darlings home..and im looking at one of the girls..and her boobie sort of seperates into 2 boobies! is that normal? it looks weird!

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the udder itself, not the teat.

With a teat starts at one spot and splits out with two ends it is referred as 'fish teat' because it resembles a fish tail.
Has she always had this? Sometimes as they grow up they will develope it.

The teat below the udder has another small teat that looks like it sprouts off the side of the primary teat...Is that about right?
This is a defect that is present and unfortunately not uncommon in larger herds. The teat will produce milk but not as much. The teat will also be troublesome for a young kid to properly drain as it will become annoyed with it and only nurse on the other side. I have heard that this defect can lead to mastitis of that half of the udder.

Cull the animal...this trait will reappear in its descendants...and probably isn't worth the added trouble.....May be why the breeder sold her to you...Hope not.

Meat goats like Boers will sometimes have four teats, like a cows, and it is quite common. Only two of them will usually produce milk, fish teats are different. I believe these are Toggenburgs going by a different thread.

oh i wouldnt cull her..shes really just a pet anyways! i think its what is called a supernumerary teat? at any rate thats what the picture looks like. i just didnt know if it was some horrid growth or something
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom