Goat breed identification help

sjaeggplant

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Hey everyone,

So we just purchased this little girl at an Amish auction yesterday. They didn't have any information on what breed she is. Any thoughts?
20170611_141341.jpg

I initially thought Alpine as well but that is just comparing her marking and coloration to Google.

Now that I look at her better, she does look like she has some pygmy in her, I don't think she is purebred though
Pygmy only come in certain colors like agouti, and Carmel agouti, all have the black back stripe, where Nigerian can come in many different colors, so probably pygmy and Nigerian mixed kid.

Do you have any idea how old she is? She really doesn't look like a pygmy or Nigerian to me. If she grows up to be small, then she is. If she grows into a full sized goat then she isn't. The color is Alpine. A broken chamoisee to be exact. The ears look to be a little large but it is hard to tell from the picture. If they are airplane ears rather than upright, then she is most likely an Alpine Nubian cross. That particular cross makes some very nice goats.

Do you have any idea how old she is? She really doesn't look like a pygmy or Nigerian to me. If she grows up to be small, then she is. If she grows into a full sized goat then she isn't. The color is Alpine. A broken chamoisee to be exact. The ears look to be a little large but it is hard to tell from the picture. If they are airplane ears rather than upright, then she is most likely an Alpine Nubian cross. That particular cross makes some very nice goats.

Well that is exciting to hear! Just from googling, we had thought she had Alpine markings as well but by no means are experts. They told my wife that they estimated her at 2 weeks. Her ears do seem to be favoring more to the side.

Back
Top Bottom