smile.png
here are some pics.
imgres

above: Nubian
imgres

above: Saanen

Quote:
Greyfields,
I only skip around this website forum, but I've seen more practical advice posted from you than I have gotten in all my 28 years. I can tell you're a real farmer and you seem to know much from experience.
This thread reminds me of incidences when cheap wines sneak in and winds up winning those prestigious wine tastings.

Yep-I tend to think greyfields is pretty darn knowledgeable about farm animals.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Greyfields,
I only skip around this website forum, but I've seen more practical advice posted from you than I have gotten in all my 28 years. I can tell you're a real farmer and you seem to know much from experience.
This thread reminds me of incidences when cheap wines sneak in and winds up winning those prestigious wine tastings.

Yep-I tend to think greyfields is pretty darn knowledgeable about farm animals.
big_smile.png

Thank you all for the compliments. I can only think of two guidelines for selecting breeds:

1) Look in a 5-10 mile radius around you. Look at what breeds your neighbors are using and then raise the same. They likely have more experience than you and possibly even know something you don't about the climate, soil conditions, etc. It also makes it easier to swap bulls, bucks, boars, rams, etc. for breeding.

2) Choose a breed which is pretty to you. You will be looking at these creatures at least twice a day for the rest of your life. Everyone finds at least one breed of animal pretty. Choose that one. Raising livestock should be rewarding to the eyes, taste, smell, etc. as well as being practical.

The rule #3: It really doesn't matter what breed you raise.

Raising livestock should be rewarding to the eyes, taste, smell, etc. as well as being practical.

I have yet to find any manure pile from any livestock that smells good!!

LOL
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

John
smile.png

i disagree i love the smell of horses.

I want goats soo bad and i think in the fall i'm going to get 2 doe's i've decided on the nigerians because i have small grandchildren and they are said to be gentle.

I can't wait to start milking and making butter too!

What you feed the goats will come out in the milk.

If your goats are grazing on mainly weeds then this will favor their milk and can change the favor from day to day. If you are feeding them feed (sweet feed and such) then they will probably not graze too much since they will be getting their food from you. I'm telling you this from experience since we run a dairy and milk our Nubians twice a day.

People that try/buy our milk cannot tell that it is goat's milk.

jcbettyb

Which of the good milkers have a small body frame? Are the Saanens considered large goats?

PS July is the month I will be getting my new milker.
big_smile.png
I have almost decided on a Saanen since they are WHITE, so docile and such great milkers. I am also considering a Saanen Nigereian cross since the buttery content of the Nigerian's milk apeals to me also. But I just want to make sure there aren't any other smaller breeds that might work as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom