Goat breeds

Quote:
+1
clap.gif

As far as purebreds go, La Manchas are my pick hands down. They give more milk than my Nubies and have better (and more consistent) personalities.

But any EX (mix of any recognized dairy breeds) should milk more than it's PB counterpart. There's a lot to be said for hybrid vigor, an outcross of two dairies makes a better dairy nine times out of ten.

with that many children i'd go with 2 dairy goats, saanan and alpines would be a good choice, then you could make cheese also, you might be able to buy a doe in milk so you could start right away, good luck:D

Ok, off to google I go. I know nothing about Alpines, and never heard of Sables.

How fun, I need to find some in Utah to play with, I mean research.
big_smile.png

All I have found so far is Nigerians and Fainters.

Sables and Saanens are the same breed, but Saanens are pure white and Sables are coloured. Basically a Sable is a coloured Saanen. Why they need different names I do not know. I'm not sure whether cancer is a problem in white goats, but we live in the desert so I went with the Sables. We have problems here with cancer eye in Hereford cattle and paint horses with pink around their eyes.

I LOVE my LaMancha, she is sweet and playful and my family's favorite. My Saanen is also very sweet and gentle (less playful because she is VERY close to kidding). Good luck on your search.

LaManchas are great milkers, and don't grow horns! I would definitely consider them. You didn't mention where you are located. I've seen all breeds do okay in all climates, but in general, Nubians and LaManchas thrive better in the warmer climates, Alpines, Saanens, Toggenburgs, Oberhasli, etc. thrive better in cooler climates. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

I have 2 Saanens. I love them. They are good to get on the stand and don't climb fences. One of them is a royal pain in the butt, but in a good way;). She always hangs out with me and try to get into whatever I am doing. She is my favorite. Good luck- I know you will enjoy milking the goats!

We are in Utah, so cold weather tolerance is a biggie. I found a dairy here that has Nubians and Saanens, I'm trying to get ahold of them to see what they might have available. I can't find any Lamanchas in the area, even just to talk to the owners.

Would it be a problem getting a goat that is used to a milking machine, then me hand milking? Probably a silly question, but would the goat care?

Quote:
Um, all breeds of goats grow horns. Polled animals do occur in most breeds (and I do have one polled La Mancha-that has never had a polled kid lol), but the vast majority of ALL goats grow horns unless they are disbudded or dehorned.

Also, while Nubians may have "originated" from desert breeds, my girls (both Nubians and La Manchas) tolerate our Wyoming winters just fine. Credit is given to a lady in Idaho for creating La Manchas, so I don't know why they wouldn't do well in the cold? And the ears are less prone to frostbite
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom