Goat breeds

everyone suggests their personal favorite and mine is the saanen they are very gentil and easy to getv along with and they give a lot of milk . and most have large udders and teats which make them easy to hand milk.

I have four goats.

Valley is a NubianX Lamancha and she is tall like a nubian but looks lamancha. she is the BEST goat i've ever seen. she runs with my horses and gets along with pretty much everyone shes always faster then my horses to get to me she leads in hand anywhere and even jumps in hand. I've never had a bad habbit from her at all and she has a wonderful udder.

Then I have kid. Her mother was a PURE lamancha (Very shy momma) she died after the birth of kid (and kids twin sister) and kids sire was supposed to be boer goat but I never seen him. But I saved kid and bottle fed her. Kid right from the beginning was stubborn but friendly LOVES to eat paper I had to force feed her and never enjoyed bottle feeding truely untill the next kids I bottle fed.
Kid is fat like a boer goat but she was a naturally polled goat and she is a good natured but athletic goat. She does not like being away from the house she starts to go a bit crazy. I don't recommend boer crossing lamanchas much. however kid is a good goat.

Then I have two alpines (also owned before) and I can tell you 100% from me on alpines they have a wonderful udder and awesome loving personalitys I chose my only buck to be a alpine goat. they are gentle and easy going goats.

Another vote for Saanens...we've found them easier to fence - because they are huge!!!! Very calm, very quiet, good milkers. We also keep a Toggenburg and Nigerian Dwarfs (training teats - the kids milk those tiny udders!) Nubians, in our experience, make a lot of noise...which is fine if you like constant barnyard conversation.
smile.png
We're used to sheep...and peace and quiet.
A fencing tip: rigid welded panels...around here they are called livestock panels. 4ftx16ft. More expensive, but our goats have stayed where we put them.

As far as the socks on the Nubians ears...I think if I had Lamanchas, I'd have to rig socks on them...I can't get past the no ears either...

After having experienced most of the goat breeds with several differend does of each (folks had a huge goat dairy) I would highly recommend Lamanchas and Saanens.
But: don't just go by breed. There are many within each breed that do not fit the breed norm.
smile.png
VIsit lots of goats, and get ones that fit your criteria.
Please learn what you can about diseases, such as CAE and CL. know what feeds are available in your area, find a few options for goat vets. Be prepared for how you are going to handle the kids, will they be disbudded and such. How will you market them, ets.
Goats are great, I hope you find a few that you love!

Back
Top Bottom