Goat containment problem

frizzylizzy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
I am hoping somebody has experience with this. I have a La Mancha wether that I bottle raised a few years ago. I'll give a little background first. I was evicted from my home of 14 years about 2 months ago. The landlord told me he would be happy to keep my 3 goats (the La Mancha and 2 dwarf females) as pets with the condition that if they changed their minds they would let me know so I could take them to my new home.
I still have some cats on the property that I feed daily and have been able to keep an eye on the goats as well. All was great until I show up yesterday to find out that there are a couple of guys on their way over to pick up the goats. Excuse me??
Since I am already pushing the animal limit at my new place, I decided to let them take the 2 little girls. They seemed nice and knew a bit about goats and animals in general- supposedly kept chickens and rabbits as well as other goats. I thought that I would be fine just taking Charlie( the La Mancha) with me. Here's where it gets exciting. Apparently Charlie is really attached to me since it took him a total of 3 minutes to figure out how to jump a 4 foot gate to get to me. So, not knowing what else to do, I tied him to a tree. That was fine until he broke the rope- but he didn't want to jump with the rope trailing after him. Problem solved, I though. I thought wrong.
He stayed in his nice enclosure complete with oak trees and a pond and ducks for company until the next morning when he saw me drive down the driveway. I get a phone call from my new landlord about ten minutes after I left telling me about how he almost got hit by a car on the highway in front of the property! Apparently he jumped the 5 foot high fence to follow me!
So the landlord takes him and puts him in a smaller pen with fencing between 5-6 ft high. That worked for about 20 minutes until he jumped out. So I tied him to another tree. He got himself so worked up that he kept running away from the tree only to come to the end of the rope and flipping himself. Not good.
Plan D- I set up a 10ft by 12 ft by 6 ft high dog kennel with shade cloth on the top for a visual blockage so he wont try to jump. This works until he starts butting the sides and moves the thing several feet. So we pounded in T-posts at the corners. It seems to be holding him at the moment, although he did tear the shade cloth down. I'm afraid that the brackets wont hold up against the butting and he'll tear the thing apart. Who ever would have thought that a goat could be so determined and strong? I know he sees me as his mama, but come on!!
I don't know what to do next if this doesn't work. He's NOT coming in the house!! I'm planning on getting cattle panels, but won't be able to afford them for about 3-4 weeks.
I had thought about putting up hot wire inside the kennel, but I am concerned about the small space.
Do any of you guys have any experience with this sort of thing? Do you think he will accept the situation and calm down, or will he throw a fit every time I walk out of his sight?

Here's a picture of Charlie and yes, he does have a full set of horns- which by the way are great for hooking around people's legs and trying to toss them on the ground. His back is about waist high.
I appreciate any help and ideas anybody has. I am on this site daily even though I don't "talk" much. You guys are all great and I love reading everything.
Chickensetc11-05-07014.jpg

Goats dont like to be by themselves...he needs a buddy and fast. If he had 1 of the girls you had he would of been fine...he is scared by himself and they are herd animals. I know its hard to have another but that is basically what you need to do. either another wether or a doe. Then the problems will stop.

I have 2 pygmys. I set up a fence for them... and they much rather be on the other side of the fence. Quite annoying it is. Keep having to fix the fence where they get out... then they find a new spot. They just climb right over it.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.
Are there any problems introducing new goats to each other? Will they fight?
I am looking for a pal- hopefully I can find a free or cheap one.
He did stay in the kennel all night. It's a bit bent up this morning, but still standing. He can get his head up above the top of the 6 ft rail! He is one big boy!
Thanks again for your help.

Elizabeth

frizzylizzy-- good luck to you. I don't know if there are any Humane Society Livestick shelters in your area but try searching Petfinder.com for goats. There are goats in need of homes on there and they usually charge a fee but I believe is based upon what they've spent on the animal's care.

Well, it took Charlie less than 24 hours to get out of the dog kennel. The only thing that is working is tying him up to a post with only enough rope to reach his food and water and to lay down. I've taken him on several long walks so he's not tied all the time. I don't even need a leash since he sticks so close to me.
I think I've found him a friend. I have to check him out this afternoon. If it doesn't work out, I'll call the shelter- that's a good idea because I know that they have had them in the past. Thanks.

Yup, he just needs a buddy and he should be fine. They might play fight a bit in the beginning to establish pecking order, but it will settle after 24 hours. Just make sure there's plenty of hay set out to distract them.

Good luck! Poor guy - hit by a car and still kickin!

haha, don't laugh but I was thinking, in the interim, put those no-jump hobbles for dogs on him!
gig.gif
Hey, never know, it just might work!

OK, here's plan F. I found him a buddy. His name is Blue and he's solid white and looks a lot like a Boer cross. He's a few years old and super sweet. He's been calling for his "daddy"(his previous owner) all evening. The two are pretty much ignoring each other right now. I tied Charlie up again for the night since he was still trying to find a way out of the pen. Hopefully this works. Here's a couple of pictures.

Blue
Blue3-31-08009.jpg

Charlie and Blue
CharlieandBlues3-31-08013.jpg

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom