Goat Down!!! need help

Duckey1650

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
My goat Johnny is a 2 year old boer cross. He has been looking skinny for a couple weeks now. My mother and I gave him some worm medicine and a bit extra food. We thought we were making progress, he started looking better; untill yesterday. A friend of ours was driving by and saw our Llama picking on something in the pasture. She stopped and realized that Johnny was down. She thought he was dead. He was able to stand and we gave him some molasses and water mix. My mother thinks he has Sore mouth, so she has been giving him this molasses mixture and apple sause along with his hay. I am not convinced it is sore mouth. He doesnt have any pustules, or sores. when I went out this morning he could not stand up, he wont move his neck. He is laying down with his head tucked to his left side and when I try to straighten his neck he hollars and puts it right back to his side. He has runny poo that just started yesterday. I don't know what is going on with him, and I am affraid I am going to lose him. I don't have a vet around here that will take care of goats, so I am really at a loss.

My goat Johnny is a 2 year old boer cross. He has been looking skinny for a couple weeks now. My mother and I gave him some worm medicine and a bit extra food. We thought we were making progress, he started looking better; untill yesterday. A friend of ours was driving by and saw our Llama picking on something in the pasture. She stopped and realized that Johnny was down. She thought he was dead. He was able to stand and we gave him some molasses and water mix. My mother thinks he has Sore mouth, so she has been giving him this molasses mixture and apple sause along with his hay. I am not convinced it is sore mouth. He doesnt have any pustules, or sores. when I went out this morning he could not stand up, he wont move his neck. He is laying down with his head tucked to his left side and when I try to straighten his neck he hollars and puts it right back to his side. He has runny poo that just started yesterday. I don't know what is going on with him, and I am affraid I am going to lose him. I don't have a vet around here that will take care of goats, so I am really at a loss.

First thing stop giving him that mixture. Check his eye lids and see if they are nice and pick or white. Give him some baking soda to help his gut. They cant handle a lot of Molasses. Do you have any Vit B you can give him, if you do start there, does he have a fever? Sounds like Worms and maybe Cocci with the runs. Could he have gotten anything that is poisionus, its that time of year when everything starts growing in the pasture. When was his last shots of CDT or anything. Has he ever had BoSe? Sorry so many questions just thinking you need to give more info.

Thank You!! I have vitimin B and baking soda. I will try that right away.
He has not had any shots. Not good on my part I know. As far as poisons, I don't think he could have been poisoned as he is the only one of 8 goats 2 sheep, 1 cow, and 1 llama that is doing this. Is there any other foods(or liquids) that I should try? He was eating yesterday, but not today.

Could also be tetanus aka lockjaw? With the no shots and the issues moving his neck it makes me suspicious. There is tetanus antitoxin that could help him if it is tetanus and definately vaccinate the others asap.
Aprille

is the anti-toxin something I would have to get from a vet? or could I find it in Tractor Supply? I don't have a vet around here that deals with goats (as to why I havn't vaccinated). There is one vet that isn't far, I tried calling him and he said that because I wasnt a regular patient he wouldnt help me (jerk). I dont know where else to get the vaccines or I would give them myself. Any Ideas?

is the anti-toxin something I would have to get from a vet? or could I find it in Tractor Supply? I don't have a vet around here that deals with goats (as to why I havn't vaccinated). There is one vet that isn't far, I tried calling him and he said that because I wasnt a regular patient he wouldnt help me (jerk). I dont know where else to get the vaccines or I would give them myself. Any Ideas?

I get my shots at the vets office, but you know I bet the CDT you can get anyplace, call TS and see if they have it. With now shots it does sound like it could be Tet. they will also do that if they dont have enought selium in them. You could also ask your Dog vet if they have anything.

I get my shots at the vets office, but you know I bet the CDT you can get anyplace, call TS and see if they have it. With now shots it does sound like it could be Tet. they will also do that if they dont have enought selium in them. You could also ask your Dog vet if they have anything.

Do you by chance live by a Jeffers? They will have it also.

Thank you sooo much!!!! I do not live by a Jeffers. but I will deffiantly pay a visit to Tractor supply and our local feed store to see what they might have for shots. I better get away from the computer and get what I can for shots. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Sounds like a clostridium infection (twisted neck - I've had goats with this before) since you mentioned he's never been vaccinated for CD&T. You can try penicillin but at this point it sounds like he needs the help of some IV's and intravenous meds. Giving any type of vaccination right now obviously can be fatal until you get the infection in control. I think you should take him in, but be advised it will be a bit costly at this point. Wish I was there to help! A lot could be determined from some bloodwork, temperature, heart sounds and gut sounds.

Back
Top Bottom