Goat Farm

Goat Farm

Hatching
Jun 19, 2016
I raise chickens and goats. I have a Nanny goat who had 4 kids. One didn't get enough milk and at about a month of age got very sick. I started it on diluted evaporated milk, it got better, and is now a bottle baby. I bought Dumor Kid Milk Replacer and began to use it. I mixed it according to directions and the baby drank about 4 ounces. I set the remainder in the fridge. A few hours later I got what was placed in the fridge out and it looked like white mud, not like milk at all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I put the baby goat back on evaporated milk, but don't know what to do next.

Why don't you just feed plain old whole milk from the grocery store? It's a whole lot better for kids than any replacer you can buy, and that includes those expensive replacers formulated for kids. I have raised a lot of baby goats on cow milk over the years. I am curious as to why you fed evaporated milk instead of regular milk in the first place. Years ago I fed undiluted evaporated milk to baby fawns because the game warden told me that deer milk was very rich.

I raise chickens and goats. I have a Nanny goat who had 4 kids. One didn't get enough milk and at about a month of age got very sick. I started it on diluted evaporated milk, it got better, and  is now a bottle baby. I bought Dumor Kid Milk Replacer and began to use it. I mixed it according to directions and the baby drank about 4 ounces. I set the remainder in the fridge. A few hours later I got what was placed in the fridge out and it looked like white mud, not like milk at all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I put the baby goat back on evaporated milk, but don't know what to do next.
I don't personally care for anything made by Dumor. I have used Advance kid replacer and really like it. It mixes easy and stores well in the fridge.

What I think probably happened was the fats in the milk replacer probably came out of suspension in the cold of the refrigerator. It would possibly been fine when warmed and shook up.

Back
Top Bottom