Goat getting ready to kid? Help?

No this is the first time I ever have to help I just gave her a shot of penicillin

Any time you give an antibiotic you need to follow the proper course. She will need antibiotics for at least five days, seven to ten would be better. Giving a single shot does not actually do any good to kill bacteria. It kills a few, and the ones that survive just continue to grow....except they are resistant to penicillin and cannot be killed by it at all. Medication 101 means always follow the directions.

If you have normal Pen G, she needs to be dosed twice a day for the course. Use the proper dose based on her weight. If you have long acting penicillin (it will say so on the bottle, very clearly), then it is given once a day.

Any time you give an antibiotic you need to follow the proper course. She will need antibiotics for at least five days, seven to ten would be better. Giving a single shot does not actually do any good to kill bacteria. It kills a few, and the ones that survive just continue to grow....except they are resistant to penicillin and cannot be killed by it at all. Medication 101 means always follow the directions.

If you have normal Pen G, she needs to be dosed twice a day for the course. Use the proper dose based on her weight. If you have long acting penicillin (it will say so on the bottle, very clearly), then it is given once a day.
This x 1000!!!!!
Same with wormers, pretty soon we're not going to have any wormers or antibiotics that actually work because we've made them resistant.

OP, if this were me, I wouldn't have given an antibiotic to begin with. If all you have to do is assist a breech birth, the natural cleaning out of the doe is going to clean out most anything that you introduced... especially if you washed up before hand. A quick iodine flush does the trick in most cases, and eliminates the need for a round of antibiotics. :)

Thanks but I know that

Sorry. But I wasn't sure if you did know. So many people truly do not know how to properly give medications like that. It is a problem in animal medicine and human medicine. For instance, a person who has strep throat (a bacterial illness) might stop taking a prescribed antibiotic early because they feel better. It killed some of the bacteria (enough to reduce symptoms), but not all. Thus, they help create bacteria that resist that particular antibiotic.

What kind of goats are they? You probably mentioned it already but I just started following day before yesterday.

Nigerian Dwarf goats over here.
Still waiting on mine. I started this thread because these are my first goats, and this doe was already pregnant when I got her from a less than ideal situation. I almost consider her a rescue really.
No way of knowing when she is due. I'm *really grateful* that forum like this exist. The sharing of experience and information has been value beyond measure :)

Back
Top Bottom