Goat, goats, goats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by marytoast, Feb 14, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I am so excited. My husband and I have been talking about getting boer goats for about 2 years now. Today we got our post hole digger. We are going to get them probably by fall. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Oh my gosh, it would drive me nuts if I had to wait until Fall. Your going to love having them.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I know it will be hard to wait, but you are doing the right thing. Get the fence in and make it a good one.

4. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! You will LOVE them.

I've had great success with 53" welded wire fence with a board on top. I had this for my horses but it is great for my goats too. The fence goes right to the ground and is tall enough that they don't jump it. So far they haven't climbed on it either!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Congrats! You will love them. It's always great to hear people are preparing first and getting everything ready before bringing them home.

6. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I completely understand-- I'm getting 2 Pygmys and 2 Nubians in March. I'm excited ,too! And you are right to get a good fence in first.There is so much to learn,first.
    Congrats!

7. MaggieBeth

MaggieBeth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Lexington, SC
    That's wonderful news! I'm sorry you have to wait so long, but you are doing the right thing by getting everything in order for their arrival. I love my goats and often wonder what I did without them. I tell people all of the time that goats are the best pets I have ever had.

8. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    We had our fence up for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!! before purchasing out first goat. But, our first goat also came with 10 other goats! LOL

9. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I can wait until fall. I cannot wait 3 years! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by