Goat Herd Does/Teat Questions

BrokenAxleFarms

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2018
Upstate New York
Hi there! My name is Sarah, and I'm brand new to BYC, as well as to goat owning. We recently adopted 4 goats, does are all 6 years old, and the buck is 3. All does are pregnant with NO idea when the due dates are, and I'm nervous being as it's winter here, and massively cold. I don't want to miss a night kidding and lose a baby to temperatures, so I haven't slept in a week! I've read every article on the net about a billion times. I know photos aren't exactly telling, but any information I can gather is worth it! Any idea how soon (or not soon) I *could* be expecting? All does have kidded at least 3 times previous to this. I'm also concerned about the left teat of the dark brown/black doe. It looks oddly shaped, and I saw a picture of her previously where it was HUGE. Is this a problem I should watch closely?

Attachments

• 20180125_114259.jpg
    20180125_114259.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180125_114244.jpg
    20180125_114244.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180125_114232.jpg
    20180125_114232.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180125_114152.jpg
    20180125_114152.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180125_114111.jpg
    20180125_114111.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180125_114139.jpg
    20180125_114139.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180125_114320.jpg
    20180125_114320.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 14
What does the udder feel like? Can you express any milk and if so, what does it look like? As a general rule, I found that my goats USUALLY kidded early in the morning or in the late afternoon, not at night. If the doe was still in labor when it got dark, there was often a problem. Try installing a baby monitor in the barn. That way you can hear what is going on in the barn while you are in the house.

It's full, but only slightly tight. On both does in these pictures. Good idea with the baby monitor. Do you know if experienced does like to kid around thr same time every time? Their last kidding was a late morning one, so I'm told.

I 2nd the baby monitor. Goats are NOISY when labor really gets going. I also share cassie's advice/experience with my does only kidding during the day. But, I do have a breeder friend who has 60+ does, and he has had several kid overnight, while he is sleeping...

I would start checking ligaments twice daily, and keep an eye on how swollen-loose-floppy the "parts" under the tail get. You will also want to watch for "show" or when they start to drip liquid. There are different "shows" that mean different things, but labor is imminent when it is a long clear or amber string of thick goo. Fiasco Farm has a good online tutorial with images!

Since you don't know when they are due, I would vaccinate with CD&T now, and have a birthing kit and birthing stalls ready NOW with deep straw and heat lamps or heat barrels. You might also want to grab some small size dog sweaters, they have literally been lifesavers for me when kids are born in cold weather.

It's full, but only slightly tight. On both does in these pictures. Good idea with the baby monitor. Do you know if experienced does like to kid around thr same time every time? Their last kidding was a late morning one, so I'm told.

Goats don't read the books and what the doe did last time may or may not mean she will do the same next time. The word capricious comes from capricorn which, I believe, is the Latin word for goat. Goats are nothing if not capricious. As for whether or not goats kid are likely to kid at night has something to do with exposure to light. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is.

Hey, the more info the better, I appreciate it! Interesting factoid on the origin of the word too, that's nifty. I guess I'll know they're getting close right about the time my family starts seriously considering admitting me to the psych unit of the local hospital!

I 2nd the baby monitor. Goats are NOISY when labor really gets going. I also share cassie's advice/experience with my does only kidding during the day. But, I do have a breeder friend who has 60+ does, and he has had several kid overnight, while he is sleeping...

I would start checking ligaments twice daily, and keep an eye on how swollen-loose-floppy the "parts" under the tail get. You will also want to watch for "show" or when they start to drip liquid. There are different "shows" that mean different things, but labor is imminent when it is a long clear or amber string of thick goo. Fiasco Farm has a good online tutorial with images!

Since you don't know when they are due, I would vaccinate with CD&T now, and have a birthing kit and birthing stalls ready NOW with deep straw and heat lamps or heat barrels. You might also want to grab some small size dog sweaters, they have literally been lifesavers for me when kids are born in cold weather.
I've got the kit, the sweaters, and more hours than I'd like to admit studying the Fias Co Farms page! Birthing stalls ready, and vet SUPPOSED to be here for a week now. (We have a stallion waiting on boosters and gelding, and she's all of a sudden become a ghost. Aggravated.) I've checked ligaments several times a day (messed up finding them a time or two, but proud to say I'm pretty efficient at it now!) One of the does has spent 3 days making me SWEAR her ligs are nearly gone, just for them to solid up again (usually soft at night/early morning, harden up around noon and early evening). The woman these goats came from said they were due anytime between a week ago, and March. Suffice it to say I'm turning unto a neurological disaster with all this "maybe."

Also if you like you could check out www.backyardherds.com one of our sister sites!!
and about the enlarged teat it is fine it is just the way she was made and it is called a sausage teat.:D

also Howdy and :welcome!!!!!:thumbsup :frow
I've checked out that one too, but was recommended to post here because more people tend to respond on this site vs that one? Trying it out is on my list of things to do, just haven't made it that far yet, ha! Thank you for the welcome!

A "sausage teat?" I can not tell my fiance that, he will *never* stop laughing!

Back
Top Bottom