goat in labor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mom wewantchicks!, Nov 5, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    im getting ready to head to a friends to check on her goat. i used to work as a vet tech and it seems everyone thinks im to go to girl lol. ive watched goats and cows give birth but never had to help out. we dont have any vets near by that do live stock so i said id go over. the goat has been in labor since yesterday and it is her first time. i guess my guestion is,how long is a normal amount of time. she is a pygmy goat and im worried may have been breed with a bigger goat and that could be the problem. my friend said yesterday they could see feet on the side of the mom,but that the baby seems to have flipped around. any advice or sugestions would be great.

2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't know what to tell you but I will give your post a bump

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I cannot give you my number publicly, but please IM me.

If she has in fact been in ACTIVE labor that long...there's a serious problem...

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I hear you there Kate as the baby might be too larger or misrepresenting . You might need to lube up and check to see wahts going on in there. I dont let my girls go that long. I will watch and see how they are progressing and if labor starts getting harder and nothin is presenting its time to check and see. I can only hope she is a very slow dialtor and things will be fine soon. Good luck

5. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    well it was a HUGE false alarm. my friend is not a animal person,she loves them but gets a little to freaked out lol. i arrived and the goat is running jumping and eating just fine. i check her out,and to the naked eye, she doesnt even appear in pregnant,let alone in labor. i was exspecting to see a half dead mama,and baby with no hope. then my friend decided to tell me she isnt even due till the last part of nov/beigining of dec. so i think all is well for now. thanks so much for the help.

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I'm glad it was a false alarm, I'd never let one go for even a day in full labor! But I am suprised at the number of times I've seen people come on the goat forums with a goat that has been in labor for days (Ironically it's usually pygmies)! At that point, of course, the kids are always dead, and often the mom don't make it either. Once mine start pushing, if I don't see a kid with in an hour, I'm going in to see what's wrong, and if I can't I'd be calling my vet. In general from the time mine start pushing the first kid (and usually all the kids) is out within 30 minutes (and it usually doesn't take that long).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by