Goat mastitis

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
One of my does came down with mastitis last night. Just my luck, I was in town all day yesterday and could have got her any medicine she needed. One side is hard and hot with clumps and some blood in the milk, the other side is normal. I've been giving her Pen G Procaine IM, milking that side out and getting the clumps out, and also infusing some Pen G into that teat twice a day. Is there anything else I can do for her? DH is going to a smaller town tomorrow so may be able to pick something up at the feedstore for her. Other than the udder symptoms she's her usual self.

I would post on BYH and see if Roll Farms or ()relics or Helmstead comes on. They would have your answer.

Keep it stripped out as often as you can.Amoximast will work if its just a common form of mastitis.Is the milk still white?There is another form called chloroform mastitis that is deadly,The milk will turn brown and watery.She will run a high fever and will usually lose that udder.I cant remember what we used to treat this it was a high powered antibiotic in the muscle.They took all of the good strong antibiotics off the market bout 15 years ago.You could clear up most mastitis then.Now you usually had to sell them because there somatic cell counts wont go down.If you have any questions give me a holler.Good luck Rodney

The milk in the bad side looks normal other than having a pink tinge towards the end and being clumpy (it has the right consistency, it is not watery and does not smell).

Back
Top Bottom