goat milk?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I was talking to dh about getting goats and we were planning on either next year or the year after.....
I wanted a couple of small ones so I thought maybe nigerian dwarf? I mainly wanted them for milk. Then it hits me, I should probably get some milk to see if I even like it if that is the reason I am getting them....
So how do I go about finding raw milk? I don't know anyone with goats......

You could post a message on craigslist or check your local health food stores or meat markets to see if there's any locally made goats milk or goat cheese. Also the farmers markets or 4-H folks or feed stores would probably know where you could get some fresh milk. Even our bigger grocery stores have goats milk (usually just quarts and pretty $$$$)

Just thought of another one. I think every place has a County Extension Agent listed in the county pages of the phone book. Thats where our 4-H is too.

Good luck, I love goat milk but only if its really fresh.

Goat milk can be really wonderful or it can be really dreadful. And a taste of milk from someone's goat isn't going to tell you much other than how that particular goat's milk tastes. Nubians on average have the best milk of the dairy breeds. I have no idea how Nigerians stack up. Those itty bitty titties kinda put me off. I don't know how you milk them but people do.

Quote:
That is the absolute truth. How the milk tastes will vary with what is being fed, how fresh the milk is, how the milk was handled from the goat to the fridge. GOOD goat milk will taste like regualr whole cow's milk only maybe a titch sweeter and a smidge creamier. You might get an idea of what it should taste like from someone else's goat but you'll never really know until you have one of your own.

Goats get such a bad rap becuase of folks that don't care if their milk is "goaty". The milk from my girls is to die for. Smells good, taste's exceptionally great and my kids refuse to drink cow's milk now. My 9 yr old has to take her own milk with her when she goes somewhere to spend the night.....lol

We found a source by talking to the county extension agent. The lady we found sells goat milk for $2.50 a quart.

Cassie brought out a good point. Before you get a miniature, try milking one. I've read that the anatomy of the little ones makes it hard to milk them.

Once you get a source, talk to the people keeping the goats and see what they recommend. They can tell you which breeds work in your area and may be a good source to buy your goat. They can also tell you where you can get your milk goat bred as you will need this service every year. Until you are comfortable keeping goats and have at least 5 or 6 of your own, I don't recommend you keep a billy.

Also look at their set-up and talk to them about what they have to do to keep goats. The lady with the goats also has livestock guard dogs. She lost goats and sheep to coyotes until she got a couple of guard dogs.

hey soon-to-be-goat friends!

check out our discussion over at:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164059

for TONS of great info about goat milk! see specifics about goat taste and how to keep it tasting great
:)

as far as getting milk, you might want to check your local laws a lot of states cannot sell raw goat milk (or any milk) for human consumption.

but check out the above thread for lots of 'yes its great' confirmation

mmm....I'm not sure.
idunno.gif
We've never had goats so I don't know anything about them.
smile.png

P.S. tell Alex I said hi!
frow.gif
big_smile.png

Absolutely don't buy goats milk from ANY store. It truly isn't the same as fresh from the farm milk. Call your local feed stores and find out who buys goat feed from them. Put up a sign on one of the feedstore bulletin boards asking to try goats milk; or try Craigslist.

As stated goats milk can have a totally different taste depending on how it's handled from start to finish.

If you can find a small farm that has a few dairy goats who they keep in a dry lot situation (that means they control the food the goats get)
and try theirs - that would probably give you the best sample.

When I was getting ready to get my milk goats I tried milk from four different farms. I didn't like one, one was Ok and the other two were great. It was all about how they handled the milk.

I milk my Nigerians and the milk is wonderful. As to teat size, that depends on the goat. If you get one from milking lines you will be better off than from pet lines. Teat size varies from goat to goat and its true that the smaller they are the more difficult it CAN be. It will depend on the nature of the goat, the orifice size(inside the teat) and you. I have some with small teats that are easier to milk. You wouldn't be disappointed with a Nigi. They are wonderfully tempered. I'm waiting on one to kid as we speak. I'm up to 17 babies this year with 4 left to kid. Life is fun around here!
Here in California it is difficult to find raw milk due to the governments interference in small farm milk production. Just gotta love big brother (NOT!!)

Vicki

Back
Top Bottom