Goat or Alpaca?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JBirchall, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JBirchall

JBirchall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Hi all,

I work on a school camp and we have a massive chook pen but only have 9 chooks (after loosing about 4 dozen to foxes). We are currently looking at getting about 15 new chooks because we hate having to buy eggs, but we are wary of doing this because of the fox problem that always seems to occur over the summer. We have a new major electronic fence in place and since the installment of that, we haven't lost any chickens, but this is our first summer and that is when majority of the carnage happens.

We were told in passing that putting either an alpaca or a goat in the pen would help protect the chickens because both of these animals act defensive against foxes. Would either of these animals be suitable to live with chickens? Space is no issue, but I don't want to lose any more of our chickens especially because nobody is around on the camp from mid december till mid january. Any solution is a good solution!!
    I also thought that the school kids would LOVE to play with the new chickens and either a baby alpaca or goat!

I have also posted this in the "Pests or Predators" Forum.

Thanks so much!

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Good News: Alpacas are known to ward off foxes. Bad News: You may need a guard dog to protect the alpaca from coyotes. Llamas are larger and very sure footed. They can kill a coyote. A goat would also be similar to an Alpaca. Both are herd animals and really need the companionship of a second one.

Our chicken house is within a 3/4 acre goat pen which has 4 ft no-climb horse fence with a top barb wire strand. These Alpine/Nubian goats have their horns and are full size. We have dog pens next to the goat pen and the dogs go crazy when a coyote is on the land.... Just one thing. If you put your coup within a goat pen then be sure to make everything sturdy. Our goats are curious of everything and like to walk up fencing.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Just don't get a fainting goat............................................ [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Alpaca I would say. A brazen fox might not be detered by a goat.

5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Also if you want the kids to be able to interact with the furry critters, note that alpacas are quite shy. They don't really like to be petted, especially by strangers. On the other hand, you could shear their fiber and sell it each spring.

Goats are friendlier in my experience, although they might not contribute monetarily to the camp. Unless you plan to milk them or eat them [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think that goats have a much better personality than an alpacas... (i've had both)
    My goats were like little dogs..

7. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I would go with 2 goats also.
    But be careful the goats don't eat the chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by